Brand new electric range installed professionally but both the stove and oven elements won’t heat up. ?

The oven light works as well as the clock. When I go to turn on the oven it states it is preheating but never heats up. Stove top never has the “burner on” indicator light up. 

The range is a GE JB655SKSS if that may give any hints. Thanks in advance for any answers.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Call back the installer - it's their problem.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

So call the professional back. Either it is a bad unit or the wiring is incorrect or defective. Sounds like it is only getting power from one of the 120v legs, so not enough voltage for the oven or cooktop elements.

• ricky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sounds like you have 115 volts, but not the 230 needed for elements. Check breaker by turning all the way off, then all the way on. Losing that power somewhere could cause a danger. If not the breaker, call company back.

• 2 months ago

I think you have a blown breaker.  The range is a 220 volt and takes TWO breakers.  One for electronics, and the other for the heating elements.  Throw both breakers off and then on again, this should fix the issue. (Notice if one of them 'pops' when you turn it back on.  It may be a breaker going out, or a short in the system.  Get an Electrician to check this out.) 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

check power supply with voltmeter. do it at breaker box first, then at the outlet behind the range. consult proper diagram for how the outlet is supposed to be wired up [we don't know where you are -- Britain? the continent?]

if power supply is correct, then the brand new range is defective or has blown fuse or tripped breaker and the installer needs to test it and replace as needed.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Call the place that installed it.  You screw with something then your paying f I r the fix.

• 2 months ago

"scary" because I have a GE JB256DMWW coming Tuesday. {If mine also fails to work I will let you know, sad lol.}  Did the installer attach a new power cord? Is the stove plugged into 220/240 volts ?  You obviously have some power; so maybe internal fuses or switches are faulty (?) Invoke the warranty.**  Just looked it up; so ... does it maybe have a "double off" switch system to prevent burn accidents? Is the self-clean switch turned on / moved to the on position - which might prevent the burners (and certainly the oven) from turning on / working / getting hot. Maybe the clock function is set to a delayed start function. [Check AM/PM on the clock.]  ** Maybe the answer is in the manual, or a PHONE CALL may give you the answers you need.

• 2 months ago

If it's brand new and professionally installed, why wouldn't you be contacting the seller and/or the installer?

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That is strange and well worth a phone call and a reject of the range. Stop payment. And buy a different brand.

• ...Show all comments
    • Edwena
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You do know that GE is now owned by the Chinese.  Your range probably comes with a pack of coronavirus.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

the electrician you used was not a qualified electrician but a stove installer and he didn't wire it up properly. Get him back or have a professional qualified electrician do the job and send him the bill

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

bill, your point is valid, but we DO have different wall sockets and appliance cords for 110 / 220 power.    It's not that he's got it plugged into the wrong voltage. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.