Why do people think it's so easy to quit a job you're unhappy with?

I'm unhappy with my job. I don't like the way I'm treated, the work hours are very long (over 10+ hours per day) with no lunch break and my boss is really mean. People always tell me why I'm still at my job if I'm so miserable and why I don't quit. How can this shock people? I need a job to pay my bills; I can't just quit. Why don't people see that?

• L

Look for another job in your spare time.  I know it's difficult to quit a miserable job and still pay your bills..............but you have to do what you have to do.  Just start looking for another job.

• J

You should look for another job so you can quit. I don’t ever suggest quitting a job until you have another one. But once you find another job, you won’t have to worry about being broke. You can make excuses all you want about how you have no time because you work all the time, but lots of people work and also look for a job. You don’t work 7 days a week. Spend your days off making a resume, filling out applications, and making phone calls. If you must miss work for an interview, just tell your boss you have an emergency dentist or doctors appointment. Instead of making excuses and finding reasons why you can’t get another job, just put in a little effort and make it happen. Complaining about how hard it is will not improve your situation. You are not the first person to have a crappy job, and plenty of people find a way to improve their situation. Just remember that only you can make the changes. Nobody else can do it for you, so stop complaining and get off your butt and do something to help yourself. 

It's understandable you don't want to quit because you wouldn't have an income--but what you're talking about is abuse and illegal. You aren't, as an employer, allowed to make people work 10 hours without a break. Not in any state. You really should be looking for a better place to work, and you don't have to quit to do that. 

• WiseMan1 month agoReport

Here’s the funny thing, they wouldn’t explicitly forbid me to go out for a lunch break. But he would give me a hard time if i do. He’ll be like, where were you? Or he’ll give a lot of urgent work at 12pm so I am in a position where I’m too busy to take lunch.

• car253

It is ILLEGAL for you not to have a lunch break and 2 small breaks in California.   You may be able to sue if your employer is breaking the law.  What state do you live in?

Take a vacation and look for another job.  https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToReportViolationto...

• Judy

You look for another job, and when you find one, THEN you quit. good luck.

Why aren't you looking for another job instead of whining about how awful your current job is? If you wanted out, you'd be looking, applying for jobs, etc. Best time to quit is when you have a better job to jump into.

• Erik
      1 month agoReport

Doesn't sound like he's whining, just responding to people who are asking a foolish question.  BTW when you post a question anonymously, and then comment, we can see who you are.

• You can always look around for other jobs while you're employed. If you find another job then quit your current one. I you're that unhappy then you should look for another job. You need to pay the bills but a having a job shouldn't be just having one to get the bills payed. You should at least like your job. 

If you don't want to quit then don't complain, some one else would be more then happy to take the job from you.

• WiseMan1 month agoReport

I can’t because I’m at work. I can’t take a day off unless I put in for it 6 months in advance and my boss approves it. If I call out sick too many times, my boss gets angry at me. 

If the job is so bad and you can't find another, then suck it up and stop whining.

Can you get another job, and then quit the job you have now, and keep the new job so that you can pay your bills?

• WiseMan1 month agoReport

Because they figure that you will be able to find a new job, one that you like better.  They have more confidence in you than you do.  Make a plan.  Start looking for a new job.  A new job will pay your bills too.  However, realize that most jobs do not give employees breaks.  Law firms NEVER do.  It's unheard of.  If you MUST have a break, move to California.  That's the only state where breaks are mandatory, and they are 10 minutes long.  Don't expect more.  If you did not want to work 10+ hour days, why did you accept the job?  When your criteria changes, don't complain about the job, because it isn't the job.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • WiseMan1 month agoReport