East asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

Are US Post Office address change requests public?

The New York Times had a story showing where people in NYC had moved, based on change of address forms.

Are US Post Office change of address forms public?

I am surprised that a newspaper could access them.  Could other government agencies get them?

Thanks.

• lare

most likely these New Yorkers told the Times about the changed address themselves in order to get their subscription mailed to the new location.

• Judith

Yes but only to those who already have your past address; e.g. magazines, newspapers.  When you sign a change of address form with the PO read the fine print; it tells you who will be given your new change of address.  It does NOT include persons.

• Jeff D

I suspect the New York Times gets access to that data because they're a major mailer in NYC.

I went to the post office to ask about the people that lived in the house I'm in now and the lady told me they couldn't give me that information. It wouldn't surprise me that the people at the NYT are doing that though. Since you can use locator services for a fee I'm sure the government has access to that information. Whether they do or not I really have no idea.

• A.J.

There is a privacy notice. Wasn't this about voter registration verification and records?

It is allowed for that.

• David

No idea how the Times got that. If someone at the post office released those forms, they broke federal law.

Yes they are. However, if you have a PO box at the post office, they are not allowed to give out your actual home address. The PO even sends address changes to the credit reporting agencies