East asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

Are US Post Office address change requests public?

The New York Times had a story showing where people in NYC had moved, based on change of address forms.

Are US Post Office change of address forms public?

I am surprised that a newspaper could access them.  Could other government agencies get them?

Thanks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • lare
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

most likely these New Yorkers told the Times about the changed address themselves in order to get their subscription mailed to the new location.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes but only to those who already have your past address; e.g. magazines, newspapers.  When you sign a change of address form with the PO read the fine print; it tells you who will be given your new change of address.  It does NOT include persons.

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I suspect the New York Times gets access to that data because they're a major mailer in NYC.

• 2 months ago

I went to the post office to ask about the people that lived in the house I'm in now and the lady told me they couldn't give me that information. It wouldn't surprise me that the people at the NYT are doing that though. Since you can use locator services for a fee I'm sure the government has access to that information. Whether they do or not I really have no idea.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There is a privacy notice. Wasn't this about voter registration verification and records?

It is allowed for that.

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No idea how the Times got that. If someone at the post office released those forms, they broke federal law.

• 2 months ago

Yes they are. However, if you have a PO box at the post office, they are not allowed to give out your actual home address. The PO even sends address changes to the credit reporting agencies

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.