my emachines desktop does not boot up when i turn it on and beeps, what can i do?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Try changing cmos battery, hard drive has a error,reset the cables,reseat the ram ,or try another set of ram,could also be a motherboard problem

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You'd have to decipher the pattern of the beep codes, then use google to see what the error codes mean. Usually they deciphered by long or short and quantity.

The beep codes are likely specific to your machine, so you'd have to see which exact emachines PC you have.

With old machines like this, either the motherboard kicks off, or the RAM kicks off, or the CPU overheated then it kicked off. PC's from 10-15 years ago didn't have the overheating protections built in like modern PC's do. Once an old Athlon 64 or Pentium 4 overheats then it's done for.

Modern day processors will throttle once they hit a certain temp, then the PC will shut off if the temps begin to climb higher.

emachines ultimately got bought by Gateway, then gateway was bought by Acer. Your emachines PC is likely over 10 years old so it's not worth taking to a technician. You can go buy a 10 year old PC on the second hand market for less than $100 which is why it's not worth repairing. Replacement parts can sometimes be found on ebay for a really low price.

• 2 months ago

take it to a technician

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it is a series of beeps the this is often  BIOS beep code indicating the type of error

Count the beeps and look up the code for the beeps. Just google BIOS beep codes

A long single beep is often a key stuck down. If it is neither then take it to a tech

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If your desktop is going b e e e e e e p that means the RAM sticks have either burned out or just needs to be removed and reseated this usually happens when a virus gets into your computer. But take your RAM sticks out and put them in one at a time and restart your computer. that way you can figure out which one of the sticks that has gone bad if any have gone bad. And you'll be able to get new RAM sticks you can get off of off of eBay way cheaper.

• 2 months ago

check that the keyboard is plugged in. for all else: you're kinda screwed. a repair shop probably wouldn't even recommend fixing it (as i assume this is a 20 year old computer). it could probably be fixed for 15 min labor (~$50 and $10 in used parts but the parts would have to be special ordered from ebay and the labor cost would make it an unwise investment vs a newer computer for $300 or so)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.