Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 2 months ago

Is sleep-apnea genetic?

I'm only 40 pounds overweight. I've been 

jogging at the park every morning for 

30 minutes, but it doesn't seem to be helping. 

its not helping because not every malady is weight related which explains why thin people get the same thing. I am obese and have sleep apnea...my sister in law is a stick figure in comparison and has sleep apnea...yet I was told to lose weight and she was not....we both are former smokers too....lol  AND if its genetic, that would mean others in your family also have it....is that the case??

No, sleep apnea isn't a genetic disorder.  See a sleep specialist for a sleep study and get a CPAP machine to address your apnea. If you can't do that, then use a pillow or wedge under your mattress to raise the head of your bed slightly.  

You are forty pounds overweight.  Jogging isn't going to fix sleep apnea or obesity.  Start by going on a diet and learning to control your portions so that you don't eat more calories than you body needs at at healthy weight BMI.  Use exercise to continue to develop cardiovascular fitness and improve your body composition.

When you are overweight, most of your weight is in your torso.  Those extra pounds are like putting a 20 pound metal plate on your chest when you lie down.  That makes it much harder for your lungs to work effectively.  Combine that with the apnea and you're dramatically increasing your risk of serious illness and death.

Even if you are at an ideal weight and physically fit you can still have sleep apnea.  Go to a Dr. and talk about your options, sleep apnea will ruin your life if it goes unchecked.