Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Should a 14 month old be in the nursery at church or with their parents in the adult church?

Are they too old to be in the nursery and should be with their parents or should they be in the nursery

• Edna

A 14-month-old child should be in the church Nursery; not in the sanctuary with the parents during services. A child that young would probably just get tired and cranky before services were over, and might even start crying. 

I know that's what it's called, but the name "Nursery" is a bit of a misnomer. The church Nursery isn't just for newborns or very young babies. It's for all children from newborns up to about age 4, who are still too young to sit through long church services. It's filled with children of all those ages, and the older children  have toys and games to play with.. . 

• GB

If I was a church goer, and told that my baby who is only 14 months of age was 'too old' for the church nursery, I'd  either stop going to church, or go alternative Sundays to my husband, so one of us could be home with the baby.

• LizB

Depends on what was going on, IMO, and how the child was behaving. 

No one should be going to large church services right now, though, and probably not for quite some time. COVID-19 spreads most effectively among crowds of people in enclosed spaces. There have been a LOT of outbreaks traced to church gatherings.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

@LizB:  Give it a rest. COVID-19 is dying out in the U.S. ,now that the weather has gotten warmer. 

Our girls never went to the nursery, but we would take them in back if they got restless. 

• edward

My church has a crying room for kids that young or the ones that cry non stop. Not an issue for me. My kid spent church most of the time sleeping though

Should?  Should isn't part of this.  If and when your family returns to in-person church services, you have to consider the reason you are there and the options you have for childcare.  Most toddlers (12-26 months) are not interested in sitting still and can't comprehend the service.  They are likely to be a distraction for the other worshipers -- including yourself.  

Many houses of worships have age-appropriate childcare groupings whether they are nursery or toddler class or pre-school. These are specifically designed to provide care and engagement of the children so that their parents can worship.  Speak with the head of the children's ministry to understand where you child would fit in and what measures are being taken to  help ensure health and safety.  If you are not comfortable leaving your child and your child is a distraction for the service, you might consider watching a service online from your home.  

It’s all up to the behavior of the child.  

• Mark

Jesus, the god-man, came and told me that babies can be in the worship room.