Kavya asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why don’t people like chihuahuas? ?

I think they’re cute and funny. Even their nipping is funny.

Favorite Answer

I can understand perfectly well why you think that, but there are some reasons why people may not like chihuahuas:-

- some people may be particularly fond of one breed in particular which is a different one from chihuahuas. For example, some people may especially fond of rottweilers or poodles.

- sometimes it may be because of their size. It's not as easy to put your arms around a small dog to cuddle them like you can with a bigger dog.

- it can also be down to how they unfortunately are stereo typed as being 'vicious' like how some other breeds also unfortunately are, like Dobermans, German Shepherds and Japanese Akitas, although this is completely false, since a dog's temperament depends largely on how they're raised as a puppy much more than anything else. 

If you pluck a handful of random strangers off the street and ask them, 'do you think chihuahuas are nice dogs?' there will inevitably be some people who will say something along the lines of, 'no, they're yappy and snappy and they bite' However, what people think of with chihuahuas being nasty is in fact the traits of small dog syndrome (behavioral problems developing due to people treating them like a doll or a substitute for a human baby instead of like a dog, and letting them get away with expressing dominant behaviors, since it's seen as less of a nuisance, less of a danger or less of a problem, or as 'cute' in small dogs e.g. jumping up on people, growling at visitors in the home, pulling on the lead while on a walk etc). They are not of chihuahua behaviors. I personally have yet to meet a nasty chihuahua

- it may also be due to difficulties with training, because chihuahuas are pretty much the most difficult breed to housebreak, and you also have to be able to walk the fine line between making them stand on their paws and yet protecting them.

- sometimes people may be looking for a dog which will be good with children, and chihuahuas aren't necessarily the best breed with little children. They're typically best either with older children, or possibly in an adult only home.

Hope this helps.

Not all but most chihuahuas are not friendly, they are feisty and even their bulgy eyes are scary. Look at the picture, do I need to say more? 

My German shepherd is lovely and playful.

Same reason they don't like cockroaches.

• Anna

Cats serve as great companions and stress relievers. They don't have to bow down to you to have a "use". 

• D1218

They're very feisty and they love to attack.

Because of their nature, their incessant yapping, and their size, in my case. I consider them to be of no use to man or beast in all truth.

Source(s): My sheepdog here would consider them to be a light lunch also.....The truth be told

For starters they're so damn overbred by scumbag backyard breeders and mills that it has completely ****** up their temperament and health. The majority of Chihuahua ypu see are BYB dogs.

NEXT THING.

Even their nipping is funny." THAT. It's THAT crap behaviour that terrible IRRESPONSIBLE owners allow that irk people. Owners like you who think aggressive or possessive behaviour is perfectly acceptable and okay because they're small and you refuse to correct it because "It's cute!." or "They're just playing!." or "They're just being rotective!" .NO. THEY. AIN'T. They're a DOG for godsakes and need to treated and RAISED like a DOG. Too many idiots own this dog and allow it to get away with absolutely anything and everything. 

If you wouldn't find the behavior cute in a 170pound Great Dane then it's still not damn cute on a dog under 6 pounds.

No I personally enjoy Chihuahuas. I think they're a great little breed when bred and RAISED correctly. None of this treating them like a little baby and allowing them to get away with unacceptable and aggressive behaviour.

• ZotsRule

Great answer!

They are just too small. I've never had a dog that weighed less than 60 lbs. I just don't care for little dogs. They are cool as long as they belong to someone else, I even like to pet them if owners allow.

I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone I know loves Chihuahuas, and every Chihuahua I've met was very well-behaved, no nipping at all. Any dog can nip, not just a Chihuahua. All it takes is an irresponsible human to not give the dog proper socializing.

Personally I like them, but I'm more of a big dog person (unless you're talking about my Cocker Spaniels).

• A

all dogs have appeal to someone.   I like a large dog, I live in a rural area and it is nice to have a big dog that will warn off intruders.  Small dogs are great for a lot of people, Chihuahuas do not appeal to me for their size, yappiness or biting.   And their giant bug eyes kind of creep me out

My dog is half chihuahua. Everybody and their mothers love my dog. I mean, just look at him.