promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What are great sources of protein and other needed vitamins and minerals for a former omnivore that preferred a carnivorous diet.?

I met someone new through the plenty of fish app but they're a strict vegetarian. I really like this person and am willing to change my own diet for them. However this brings up the concern of how I'm gonna get the recommended DV of protein and other things found in meat that the body needs to nourish itself. This will be difficult since I hate veggies and Soy products like tofu.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Black beans and cheese are good sources of protein as are eggs (if they eat them).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    1 day ago

The most-common protein for vegetarians and vegans are legumes and grains eaten together.

Legumes: black beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, pinto beans, peanuts, etc.

Grains: Whole wheat products, corn rice.

Technically, a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat fits the bill.

Legumes tend to be bland, so often there is quite a bit of strong spicing and hot spices in those dishes. And your body does adjust after a while and you fart less.

Complete protein can be gotten from soy beans (including edamame), tofu, and quinoa.

If you are a vegetarian, but not a vegan, eggs, dairy and cheese also provide protein.

Nuts and seeds provide protein too.

Other vegetables do have protein in them, but only in small amounts and you would have to eat an outrageous amount to get your roughly-50g of daily protein .. like 10 heads of iceberg lettuce or 20 cups of broccoli.

Some vegetarians also eat seafood, all of which has lots of protein.

We Westerners tend to eat 2 to 3 times as much protein each day, as we actually need. ONE half of a chicken breast will provide ALL the daily protein we need. And too much protein can cause kidney disease, over time.

As for hating vegetables ... if you WANT to like them and avoid telling yourself "I hate this food", and just eat it because it is good for you .. then gradually over time you will start to like it. MOST of our food preferences are all in our head, based on the attitude we feed into our mind. But change is slow.

As for this person, right now you THINK you like them. But liking someone is only 11% of what makes a relationship work, and you will have to date them 1-3 years before you start to see the clearly, and can evaluate if you do indeed actually like who they are. And more-importantly, if the two of you can get along once the infatuation phase dies out and the issues start to crop up.

I am not sure how much you should change in order to try to attract someone who you barely know .. who you might find you cannot stand once you have spent some time with them and their true self starts to emerge. But it is up to you ....

Vegetarians do not need supplements, but vegans do. Vegans need to take Vit B12, zinc, calcium and iron supplements.

• 2 days ago

you are still an omnivore..you didn't suddenly change to a carnivore.

Get real

AND if you are going to date a vegetarian, its not a carnivore you want to be..

how old are you ??

• 2 days ago

eggs, peanut butter, lentils , beans, greek yogurt,protein shake

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 days ago

IF you need to change your diet to make another person happy, then they are just controlling you. And soon you will have to change some other portion of your life 'To make them happy'. And another, and another, and it is just not worth it. You will end up being miserable. 

• audrey
    Lv 7
    2 days ago

Do not change your diet for another person. If someone wants to be a vegetarian, fine. But do not deny yourself the pleasures of meat for someone else. You will regret it.

• Louis
    Lv 7
    2 days ago

You should ask your new friend. You new friend should find it flattering that you ware willing to change your lifestyle to be more compatible. 

• Anonymous
    2 days ago

they make plenty of stuff with protein. u can get noodles even. like every food u can think of is also made with protein. just look in like, a sprouts

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.