Power goes out in garage ?

We keep losing power to our garage. The breaker trips and I have to reset it.  It's only a problem because we have an extra freezer outside and that also losces power. Last time it was 2-3 days before we noticed and we had to throw away $200 in meat. Is there anything like a smoke alarm that makes noise when closes power so we know to reset it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

you've got a problem and aren't trying to fix the actual problem. disconnect things other than the freezer to isolate why the breaker keeps tripping. then fix that

Source(s): grampa
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Probably would be better if you got rid of the OLD FREEZER sucking up juice and got a more efficient one.. Now days they make then that actually use less then 1/2 the power as even as soon as 6 years ago..

• 2 months ago

It would probably be cheaper to have an electrician re-wire your garage. It would also be SAFER. If the power keeps going out and you have a freezer plugged in that is the most likely culprit--the circuit is simply being overloaded all the time. 

Get someone out there to fix the wiring. Alarms exist, but they are more expensive than a new outlet or new wiring. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Did it happen right away once you first plugged in the freezer in the garage.?  If so, then that breaker can't handle the distance on a thin wire.  You need to up the wiring and get a higher amperage breaker only for the freezer wire.  Your refrigerator has a single 20A breaker for it and only for it.  The rest of the house is generally 15A and 10 boxes can be gang chained together for 1 breaker. Same goes for the lights ...10 ceiling lights can be joined together on 1 breaker.

The stove is a double breaker and the clothes dryer is a double breaker and the electric water heater could be a single dedicated breaker or a double dedicated breaker depending on the size of the water heater.

. Trouble with alarms is someone has to be at home.  I would rather it not happen at all.  I am funny that way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

All of the answers below are correct. 

Yes, you can find alarms that are easy to simply plug into the outlet beside the freezer which will alert you when the power goes out.  

If the freezer is thawing in only 3 days, it may not be cold enough when frozen, or is not insulated enough.  

And lastly, a dedicated circuit for the freezer is a good idea. 

Check with an electrician - examine these areas: Faulty breaker breaking too often - replace.  2) If the freezer is suddenly drawing too much power, check for a short in it's electrical wiring. 3) check to see if a higher rated breaker should be installed to prevent further outages.  

• 2 months ago

No, your ONLY problem is the circuit powering the garage can't handle the freezer. You need to have a dedicated circuit added for the freezer.

Note: If the contents of the freezer thawed in ONLY 3 days without opening the freezer, you need to replace the freezer.

• 2 months ago

Yes, there are plenty of freezer alarms available,. built for precisely that purpose.  Look it up.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You need to find out why its tripping.   If breaker trips multiple times theres to much amperage on that circuit. It tripping doesn't mean reset me til next time.  I'd put that freeze on a dedicated circuit. 

• 2 months ago

Look up Power Failure Alarm.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Maybe God is trying to tell you time to change your diet and care more about the animals.  The animals have been upset for a long time in how humanity treats them.   What if there is a planet where people used to be animals and one day a space ship from that planet comes here and takes a person there and kills them and stuffs them and puts them on a pedestal like a statue like the humans have stuffed bears and puts a sign under the person that says:  This is a human being that claimed to love God and polluted their planet and sent many species into extinction by their over consumption of meat and did not take care of the lovely world they were given and over populated it.  

If you lived on another planet where it was beautiful and loving and you learned about such a sad race would you want to visit them?  Smart ones would say nope that race does not excite me very much if all they have to offer is destruction of other species by their greed and over population and lack of concern for others. 

Charles hope you realize you might not be at the top of the food chain.

• ...Show all comments
    • KY-Clay
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Genesis 9:3 Every living creature will be food for you; as I gave the green plants, I have given you everything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.