Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

How can I help my daughter?

I'm recently divorced and have joint custody of my 14 year old daughter. Her mother lives in the suburbs and I have a nice 2 bedroom condo in a nice area in the city. My daughter hasn't said it but she hates my place and gets scared at night. She wants to sleep in my bed with me. I've told her no she can't, she's a big girl and has her own room with a nice warm safe bed. I leave a light on at night for her, but yet I'll wake up and she has crawled in bed with me. I've resorted to sleeping fully dressed while she's staying with me. Please help me with suggestions how to help her. I love her so much, she's my life.

Help he gain confidence in her own bed. Let her sleep there and you sleep on the bedroom floor for a few nights.

just let her sleep in your bed

• Elle

Absolutely NOT!  Whats wrong with you?

I'm not sure I believe this story. Just put a lock on your bedroom door and lock her out of your bedroom when she's staying with you. She's old enough to adjust.

• J

Does your daughter have any mental health or developmental issues? It’s very unusual for a 14 year old to get that scared of sleeping at home, and even more unusual to want to sleep in her fathers bed. I think she needs some therapy. You seem to have the right idea about making sure you’re fully dressed and sending her back to her own room. Most people would find it very inappropriate for a daughter to sleep in her dads bed, but it’s clear that you have no intention of doing anything wrong. Does she do the same thing with her mom? Most teenagers stay in their rooms all day and want nothing to do with their parents. She clearly has some issues. I don’t know if it’s an illness or if something bad happened to her in her past, but this behavior is not normal. Please get her some therapy. She needs to sort out her issues and figure out why she’s so afraid. It’s normal for a young child to have fears like that but not a 14 year old. 

• edward

Why is she scared? I mean when my parents were away for days i would stay up as long as i could because i was scared, my sister would sleep in my room and those were the only days my door was actually locked. I was 16 back then. Just ask her what she’s so afraid of

How about talking to her about what is frightening her at night? Figure out what the actual issue is while you are working with it on the day to day. Then, you'll need to set a boundary and stick to it, if you do not want her in your bed, then that is a boundary you need to stick with... I know how tempting it is to give up when you just want some sleep, though. What about her bringing in her mattress or a sleeping bag and sleeping on the floor if you aren't comfortable with her in your bed?

• God

You say that you wake up and she has crawled in bed with you so obviously she doesn't disturb your sleep.  So let her do it for awhile.  She's just looking for a little comfort.

• J

That’s ok for a 5 year old but not a 14 year old 

Work on your story telling skills

• A

she needs to sleep in her own bed period. let her design the room, go online and let her pick out all new bedding and things for her room so it feels like it is hers. You have to insist on this

She is very attached to u . Arrange a second bed for her to put in ur room to sleep her separately in ur room . If she kept on sleeping with u , some time both of u may involve in sex with each other . U can stop ur intentions but not instinct which some times over power the sane senses even

• Anna

Good Man she's his DAUGHTER so there won't be any sex going on, he's not even thinking of her in a sexual way.