promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 days ago

My dad is a drunkard and a smoker. What is the solution for him?

My dad is 56 years old. He drinks alcohol 4 times a week and daily smokes 3-4 cigarettes. My mom is very fed up with my dad. Is there any solution to my dad's bad habit?

Updated 3 days ago:

@Mokrie : My dad loses control whenever he drinks. I feel alcohol should be banned in non-white countries

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 days ago
    Favorite Answer

A man of your Dad's age probably will rebel if advised to drink less and smoke less. Your Dad, like my Dad, may have loss his dream and had diabetes and refused treatment for years. I think my Dad's incentive to improve himself vanished when he loss his dream. My Dad's diabetes caused his two legs to become dangerous and was in hospital for amputation of both leg, but had a heart attack and died in the hospital.

harrald

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 days ago

not much you can do but pray he quits

• 2 days ago

Banning alcohol only leads to it going underground, followed by an explosion in crime.

In fact your father seems to be a VERY  moderate smoker. By the time my father died (heart attack, not even 60) he was smoking 80 a day.As for the drinking, you don't say how MUCH he drinks, only how OFTEN - big difference. Yes, if he loses control it does seem as if he's drinking too much, but could there be other reasons for 'losing control'?Maybe if you all stopped criticising him, and accepted that his smoking is barely a habit at all, and that he enjoys a few drinks a few times a week (not even every day), he might relax, start enjoying his life, and gradually find less need for the alcohol.

• patty
    Lv 6
    2 days ago

no signs of a drunkard or heavy smoker

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 days ago

Drinking four times a week hardly means he's a "drunkard." My dad finally quit smoking after he started having heart atacks.

• Tasm
    Lv 6
    3 days ago

People only change when they want to change so don't push it or you will just annoy him.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    3 days ago

There is no solution unless he chooses to find one. And 3 or 4 cigarettes a day is very little. Most smokers have 30 a day.

• 3 days ago

Compared to many, your dad would be a saint. But to many others any alcohol or smoking is too much. The problem is up to your mom and dad to work out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.