Should I detransition from veganism? ?

Hi, I'm a 13 year old female who's 158 cm tall and weighs 51 kilograms. I'm sorry for any grammatical errors, my first language isn't English.

I'm not sure where to post about this but here we are. I've been vegan since March 2020 and I enjoy eating like this but I'm scared of stunting my growth because I don't eat much food anyway. I usually eat one meal a day and my diet consists of mostly vegetables and fruit. For example, yesterday I blended vegetables with boiled lentins and made a homemade bun and then I had half a mango.

Will I stunt my growth if I keep eating like this?

• pmt853
    1 day ago

Plenty of vegans manage perfectly well and some are outstanding athletes. It sounds as if you are simply not eating enough, one meal a day is too little. You may also need to take some dietary supplement pills to address any shortfalls in vitamins etc in the vegan diet.

• 2 days ago

Whether or not you should transition back to eating meat is mainly up to you. As for the "stunting of growth," is a bit of a misnomer. There are plenty of people who has reached their full potential height, all the while had nutritional deficiencies. That includes those who are or were anorexic. So such a claim is without medical and/or any scientific validation, at this time as far as I know. 

However the biggest issue that can happen with a strict vegetarian diet, which is what vegans follows, lacks only vitamin B12 and nothing else end of story. However not eating enough or more accurately the taking in enough calories can cause serious long term health issues. By not tasking in enough calories, you aren't going to be able to meet the daily recommended amounts of the more than fourty essential nutrients. As pointed out, you need at least fifteen hundred if not closer to two thousand calories a day.

• 2 days ago

Not only can this stunt your growth, you can end up hospitalized for anemia and eventually develope organ damage.

But no worries, your faddish toying with veganism can’t hurt you if you’ve only been doing it for 8 weeks.

• Louis
    2 days ago

The issue isn't veganism. It is that you are not eating enough. 

You need at least 1200 calories a day (maybe as much as 2000 depending on your exercise). and you are not getting that in just one meal. You should also be getting a lot of other nutrients that you can't get by just eating one meal. 

You should be eating about 3 meals a day. And a few snacks. 

Try figuring out how many calories you need. Here is a good calorie calculator.

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

then go to the website EatThisMuch and it will create a daily meal plan for you.  You can even choose a vegan meal plan. 

• 2 days ago

As it is only 2 months since you stopped eating meat etc, your body would not have any difficulty in digestion of such foods. Those who have been vegetarian or vegan for longer do need to take it easy at first [fish only for the first few weeks, then chicken, and another few weeks before introducing other meats.] As you are so young, you need to discuss it with your parents. If they have become vegans or vegetarians themselves, they may want you to stay vegan, but if you are the only vegan in your family, your mother will be only too pleased if you eat the same as the rest of the family. You may get a few sarcastic remarks at first, don't take them to harshly. Deciding that a veg[etari]an diet if not for you is nothing to be ashamed of, many people start such a diet and find they cannot keep it up, especially those who, like you, start at a young age. 

• kswck2
    2 days ago

At 13, maybe you should consult a Dietician/Nutritionist before making such a bold move.

2 days ago

I think you're asking if you should stop being vegan.

The people to ask are your parents. They are responsible for your well-being.

Your question is not about “Food and Drink” it's a medical question and no one here is qualified to give you advice. 

It is VERY irresponsible for anyone to try to give medical advice here to a 13 year old they have never even met.

@Wendigo - your opinion of doctors is your own but it has NOTHING to do with my answer. A 13 year old needs, as I said, to discuss this with their parents and not take the advice of some of the idiots posting here. You're the one talking about doctors, not me!

• 3 days ago

You don't have to eat animal flesh to get all the nutrients you need, but you do need to eat a balanced diet. You do need protein, quite a lot of it, but you can obtain it from plant sources. Here's an article that highlights a few of the dangers of a restricted diet in your age group, but it doesn't discuss the vitamins and minerals you also need. You should probably either research what vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins and carbohydrates you need for normal development, or consult with a dietitian. Eating meat and meat products is not the question. Your concern is getting the proper balanced nutrition to grow healthy and avoid health problems in the future. If possible, set up a meeting with a registered dietitian who can guide you to the essentials you need through your teen years. Eating right now can avoid a host of future problems.

• Wendigo
      2 days agoReport

You may want to add the link, that you left out. However otherwise your answer is a good one.

3 days ago

You need proteins in your daily diet to grow. Otherwise you will not reach your full potential.