Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 5 months ago

Could ANYONE (whether they're very intelligent or not very intelligent) become a nurse?

I'm not very good at math or science and my strong subject is english. I wanted to be a nurse ever since I graduated high school which was several years ago. I have to do a Fast Track program because my GPA in high school wasn't good enough and the math varies from algebra to geometry, etc and I have a hard time with some of the topics.. I have to even pass the Fast Track program to be able to move onto college level courses... I'm getting help with the math from the Fast Track and if math is hard for the college level courses then I'm going to have a hard time... so do I have a good chance at being able to succeed at nursing school or should I find a different field that I'll have an easier time with?

Favorite Answer

You will never know unless you try. 

What you may not know are there are different kinds of nurses, medical technicians and emergency medical technicians. I am going to confine my Answer to the nurses. I am not the best person to answer this

As FAR As math is concerned.high school.levelath may be all you need. Depending on the nursing school, you can earn a diploma to.become a nurse. You Nan become a.vocational licenced practical nurse (LPVN) or a licenced practical nurse( LPN) None of these are registered nurses. There is a state listening exam that you have to pass. You can become an LPN in 9 months as a full time student or 18 months as apart time student. You can go to a vocational technical.school and some community colleges to become an LPN. 

Then there are registered m You can earn an associate degree in nursing. There is a registration exam for that you can earn a bachelor of science in nursing.

Degree. Often, if you are admitted to nursing school for the first 2 years, there are courses and academic exams you have to pass to be admitted into the last 2 years where you start specialize. I think you need to take and pass the registration exam at same point. 

My closest friend is an M.D. who has been a full time faculty member at health sciences technical University in New Orleans. She teaches and academically advises nursing students. So does her husband who is also an M.D. he as taught at nursing students at vocational technical school that now includes the Charity Hospital Nursing School. Charity Hospital has been closed and shuttered since after Katrina. 

Yes, you probably are intelligent enough to become some type of nurse. I used to think I was dumb and stupid in math. I hated math, because I was afraid of it. I earned B.A. and majored in history 4 years with NO math courses because the degree requirements required two courses in Science OR math, not science AND math.i LOVED and was passionate and still am passionate about science, especially astronomy. Three weeks after graduation, deciding to face my fears of math. I was taking calculus 1 in summer school. I had to take calculus to graduate from high school.

Talk to your academic advisers and tutors. Tell them what you want to do. If you fail a course. The world will NOT end. You can usually retake a failed course. 

Very likely you are more intelligent than you realize. You are a survivor. Good luck. 

Yes of course! If you have guts to do it and if you are determined to become one. There's no harm on trying. You will learn many things along the way. As long as you have passion and a good heart to do the job because it deals with the people who needs your assistance with there health and of course there lives. 

You appear from your info here to be unsuited to professional careers in science & health-related occupations. This is not in alignment with your real talents & abilities.

WHY did you think you wanted to go into nursing? What other occupation would accomplish some sort of mission or destiny you feel you want to accomplish with your life? Where do your real talents, abilities, etc. lie because it clearly is not in the crucial sciences & math you would need in nursing & similar healthcare occupations.

• drip

In the USA you will need a certain level of intelligence and academics.  

My son in law student taught organic chemistry to nursing students and many had significant problems with the class. 

You are not only having problems with remedial classes, you haven’t taken regular college level classes as yet. Classes are just going to get harder and harder.  

First you are going to need to take  prerequisite classes to get into the nursing program and have great grades.   Most nursing programs are highly competitive and hard to get into. So, no you do not have a good chance.

First get through the remedial classes and see how you do. Take it a step at a time.

You should be able to find what prerequisite are required and what classes you will need to take in the RN program.

Check out other fields too like a LPN Program.

The two levels of nursing are LPN and RN. LPNs often work in doctors offices. RNs now, in the U.S. do much of what doctors used to do. I know an RN who is in labor and delivery. She has to know how to hook mothers up to all the very technical machines that measure the mother's heart beat, the baby's heartbeat, and other vital signs. She has to insert lines for intravenous feeding, and she often has to deliver the babies when the doctor doesn't make it to the hospital in time. Nurses often have a lot of power- they work for the hospital and can overrule the doctor on things like when to do a caesarian sections rather than letting labor progress. People don't realize that. They still think that nurses take temperatures and give sponge baths. That's not what RNs do. There are nurse assistants and nurse techs who do that stuff. You have to do math because you have to understand the dosages by body weight, and the possible side effects. If you can't do math, you can become an LPN and work in a doctor's office where all you do is take temperatures and blood pressure. 

You will have to have a good grasp of science and algebra type math to do dosage calculations etc. even though there are tables etc, you still to do drip calculations etc.  try and look through a nursing test or a NCLEX review book and get a sense.

Yes they can.  All that you need to do is go to a teaching hospital that teaches nursing.  They will teach you everything that you need to know and the practice while your learning will ensure that you can pass the course load...