Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theatre · 2 months ago

Is the internet here to stay?

In my opinion I think wireless internet is just a phase, like dvds or guitars. Eventually it will die out. Its not great as it is. Why even have it.

Trust me,

• Lance
    Favorite Answer

Guitars??? You do realize that the guitar has been around since the 13th century??? Maybe even longer than that..Some think it may be over 4000 years old in one configuration or another....although probably called something else....back then...

Considering that the Internet has technically been around since the 80’s and it’s only just been improved to the Internet that we know NOW in the early 2000’s when broadband internet were created (or the dialup back in the 90’s if you wanna go with that route), I highly doubt it’ll just simply go away at this point. 

On top of that, it is a way for us to connect to each other in so many ways, that too many people’s lives would’ve changed negatively if it suddenly just died off like if it was just a fad.

The internet has been with us for nearly 40 years and was a huge improvement over what we were previously using for "global" communications.  It may morph in various ways, but is here to stay.  

For example, it was started in 1968 as a DARPA research project about "packet-switching networks" built to automatically adapt and survive long enough to coordinate nuclear counter-attacks.  When the research begat the internet protocols, in the early 1980s, the world quickly got on board to merge the hundreds of existing networks for file-transfer and other remote computer access.

It was never intended to be the "information superhighway" it has become.

Unless the power grid goes down, and stays down then yes it's here to stay.

.

it is the realization of the global village predicted by marshal MCluhan in his 60s book

he was thinking of the TV set,the crt of that age,it came to fruition in the mid to lt 80s,in the form of the internet,hi def imaging   for vids and movies,every year color screens and more pixels and smaller circuitboards mean cheaper everything electronics

I E it aint stoppin,internet is here,,, not stopping it like railroads int he 1800s..high speed trains,any chance they are going to get junked?  not likely

From all indications,yes

And many don't.  Its called the digital divide.

This virus is a boon to the videoconferencing industry, since in person is illegal for us for the time being.  Society is relying even more on the net now, even though it can transmit viruses of its own.  

Im still one of USPS's best friends, mailing all my bills out that way.  

Personally I wish we invested more on meditation, which is independent of faith, microbes, money, location, etc.

I mean I don't think so. I mean you are asking this very question on the internet right?

• Nuff Sed

Sure, but the Y!A website is unlikely to be the sustaining lifeblood of the internet future.

Everyone is free to have delusions.