Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 2 months ago

USPS obliterated my customer s package and it s contents. Who should file an insurance claim on the package, myself or the buyer?

I'm with Deb.  You don't say if you purchased insurance (which will make this easier) or you're having to file a general damage claim, but that issue is separate from keeping your customer happy.  Get a replacement out as soon as you can and then follow up with a phone call.  People sometimes forget the ripple effect good cs can help with reviews and word of mouth on your business. 

The buyer AND the seller.  I've been through it.  I returned a package - insured - around $150, because it was splattered in superglue - ruined the item, not shown on the photo because Superglue is clear, but it is also shiny.  Item was damaged/ruined & not as described.  It was not received by the seller.  I was told we both needed to file the insurance claim.  We both did.  I was refunded & the seller was p*ssed that she didn't get her money for an expensive piece of garbage. 

You as the seller.  You sent the package.  You chose what level of insurance, if any, to purchase.  

Putting that aside, as the seller you should not be asking this question.  You should be doing what is right for your customers by not making them jump through hoops to get what you sold them.  Send them a replacement and deal with the damaged separately.  

• Robert

I would guess the buyer since they are in possession of the mangled merchandise and can provide photographic and other evidence.

• A.J.

The sender bought the insurance, if it exists. It the seller-buyer contractual relationship, when does the buyer take ownership. Unless there are specific terms that the buyer owns it before receipt, everything is in the hands and responsibility of the seller.

you.

You are the one that purchased the insurance.