Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

I made a purchase online that was nearly $400 and it never arrived?

I was tracking it and was home when it was supposedly delivered.  i have a video of the mailman not delivering a package.  i contacted the retailer and they sent me a email saying to give it a few days, but to ask family members and neighbors, but, according to their term of service that they are not liable for lost or misdelivered mail, and a link to file a claim with usps about lost mail.  After a few days, I contacted the usps and filed a claim that they promptly denied because it was marked delivered.

I again contacted the retailer and they basically said tough luck you'll have to make a new purchase if you want the product.

So I contacted my credit card and they refunded my money. About a week later, I got a letter from my bank that the investigation is over and my credit is permanent.

The retailer sent me an email accusing me of fraud and indicating that they were giving me 5 days to "correct the situation" before they filed a police report.

A week later, they re-billed my card with an additional fee.  i contacted my bank again and they refunded it and sent me a new card. 

I'm no longer responding to any more emails from them.

When researching though, there seems to be a lot of debate on who should be liable for lost, stolen, or misdelivered packages.  Who should actually be liable and how can the post office blindly deny insurance fir lost mail if it is marked delivered even when they seem to acknowledge that it may have been delivered to a wrong address?

I don't think I should be responsible for a package that was never delivered.  I'm not the one that lost it, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

I did include the video with my usps claim.  They said, if it is marked delivered there is nothing they can do.

Yeah, I had a tracked package from USPS delivered by mistake to me.  My home address was similar, but not the same as the person it was actually addressed to.

Were I a dishonest person, the person who it should have gone to would have been SOL because the package would show scanned and delivered, even though it mistakenly went to the wrong address.

I think it's pretty likely your package got misdelivered. 

Since the post office has failed to help you, I'd try filing a complaint with the Postal Inspector's office.

I also read that the carrier's scanning devices link to the GPS location at the time of scanning.  So they should be able to confirm the actual location where it was scanned as delivered.

Good luck.

Let them file a police report. There is likely nothing they can do. Did they ever provide you a tracking number for this supposed item? If not, then I definitely wouldn't give it another thought. Your bank investigated and credited your account, and then sent you another card when the frivolous place charged it again, with an additional fee. USPS isn't the best choice to send items through anyway. Where I live they lose or don't deliver mail all the time. I wouldn't worry anymore than you already have about this nonsense with this company or seller.

That can actually be specified in the purchase agreement.  A package can be shipped FOB destination or FOB origin.  Title would transfer along with the risk of loss at the destination or origin respectively.  All of the major online retailers (amazon, ebay, etsy etc) are responsible until it is delivered to the destination.   

The post office would be liable for misdelivered or lost packages, but, they will always put it on you to prove it.  most people do not push the issue once they recieve the initial denial which can always be appealed either internally or in court.  going to court is usually not worth the effort.

If an insurance claim needs to be made, ut is my opinion that the seller should always be the one to file a claim.  No respectable business would that responsibility on the customer.

If they actually rebilled your card, they committed fraud.  If they make a habit of that, they could lose the ability to accept whatever card you used.  If a business loses the ability to process visa, they may as well close.

If you were smart and paid for it with a credit card, you call the credit card company and you open a dispute because you never received the product.

They will take care of everything from there...you will get a refund.

The vendor is not responsible for lost or stolen mail, ever.

Ignore them.

They have to sue you in your local courts, not theirs.

They aren't going to do that.

The end.

• DON W

I agree that you need to give it a few days.  In my neighborhood, packages are often mis-delivered to the wrong address, but eventually make their way to the correct recipients.  Also, sometimes the deliveryman notes "delivered" but the package remains on the truck for an extra day or two.

this is a civil matter, the police won't do anything.  At least your credit card company backed you up.  I've also had stuff marked as delivered that didn't show up for a couple of days, I suspect UPS or USPS does some fudging to make their delivery numbers look better.

If you have the video then why don’t you show it to the post office that it was never delivered. 

The seller should have requested a signature for something that expensive so that there’s no dispute about whether or not it was delivered. 

What’s to say that you got the item but don’t want to pay for it. There are people who keeps filing false disputes because they want free stuff.