Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 2 months ago

Do you think the Sesame Street line “everyone makes mistakes so why can’t you” is inappropriate in this day and age?

In the old days hitting and swearing were bad

Today everything is up for scrutiny.

Everything is literally zero tolerance these days.

So if the line between “Innocent” and “purposeful” is so fine or blurred then we cannot afford to venture anywhere near that line.. correct??

NO it is truth and making a mistake even a small one is not the end of the world.  It builds character and strength.

No I don't think so.

• rick

I think that we need to put more emphasis in the fact that mistakes have consequences. It is NOT OK to make mistakes, most of the time. A mistake while driving will result in multiple deaths. A mistake in a diagnosis results in permanent disability or death. A mistake by a utility employee results in people dying, property damage and loss of property. Instead of teaching that mistakes are OK, teach responsibility

• martin

No. It's a source of wisdom. It will be appropriate centuries from now, as well as right now.

• Bobo

There is a fine line between innocent mistakes and purposeful harm.  You can read this message both ways.  There should be a distinction.

I haven't really watched Sesame street since 1980... but I don't have a problem with the message there. If the message is "everyone makes mistakes" then I'm all for that. Growing in life is all about making mistakes and learning from them.

Telling young people that they can never make a mistake seems like a good recipe for long-term mental instability...

My life will never be the same after just watching that video of that song.