Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

What options are available to change shotgun barrel color / finish?

I got a shotgun with a polished steel barrel and i want to change its look ( color ).  The way it looks is just too flashy and reflective.

Im tempted to spray a coat of primer and two coats of matte black but some say it wont stick unless i sand it down thoroughly.

Any other options out there ?

Could etching the barrel before spray painting it work ?

The only reason i bought it, is cause the price was attractive.

• BBean
    Favorite Answer

My original thoughts were to suggest having the barrel nitrided with the military non gloss finish, but, with a little after thought I don`t think you want to spend much money. So, someone tells you that paint will not adhere to the shiny finish...I say after a very, very thin coat of zinc chromate the matte finish will stick.

AND is 100% reversible. I have seen nickel and chrome finishes peel as well as cerakote, powder coat, and hydrographics. So none are bullet proof but you may think so when trying to reverse some of them except just an attractive painted coating.   

• Mr.357

1.  You could sand/bead blast it.  2.  Hit it with some 400 grit sand paper then use etching primer and paint it.  3.  Put a camo barrel sock on it.  4.  Wrap it in camo tape if you don't shoot a lot at one time and don't heat up the barrel.

• Robin

go to Brownells and get a reblue kit

Duracoat they have a lot of color options even simulated "blued"

• Bill

take it to a gun smith and have the barrels blued