Should I file a claim with my car insurance? ?

I recently got in a minor collision with another car in the parking lot of my condominiums. Both cars were backing up, and we hit each other. The blue car is mine. The other car hit me directly on the passenger door of my car. My car is severely more damaged than the other one. The car that hit me only has some paint damage (well done, mercedes) I would prefer to make a claim, since my damage is worse and would cost more, however the other party does not. I just want to know, is it worth it to make a claim on this type of damage? My deductible for my insurance is only $250, but I am worried about the price increase that may happen if I do make a claim. How much do you think it will cost to fix the door? The door currently opens only from the inside now, not from the outside since the damage. 

Thoughts and opinions?? 

thank you everyone for your input!! I did file the claim- we’re waiting to see who is “at-fault“. I do have full coverage insurance, the insurance claim wasn’t my worry. My worry is my insurance rates going up! I can pay the $250, but I do NOT want to have my monthly rate skyrocket. They will rise high because I am under 25. Thank you, regardless! 

• car253

What state do you live in?   Well, you do not give enough details of how the accident happened so I can figure out who may be at fault for the accident.   

If the other party ran into you then it is the other party's fault.  Then it is definately worth filing a claim to YOUR auto insurance company and paying your deductible.   Then let YOUR auto insurance company go after the other party's insurance to get your deductible back. This is the easiest and best way to go.  Definately file a claim with YOUR auto insurance company.   Never accept money when the accident is not your fault. Never go to the other party's auto body shop for repairs.

Source(s): Insurance agent. I have seen disaster stories. Let your auto insurance company pay to fix your car.
  • g

You have insurance coverage on your vehicle, Hannah, correct?  Use it!

Your insurance provider will be sure to make you whole.

The fact the other motorist does not wish to have their insurer involved simply means they don't wish to be fully responsible.  Don't fall for that.  

File a claim immediately.  

Make a claim under your auto policy.  Then make sure your adjuster subrogates against the other driver.  If he has liability insurance, both insurance companies will have to submit to inter-company arbitration.  You will win because you are the "hittee" and you filed first.  You get your deductible back.  And your premiums won't go up.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.
    • car253
      1 month agoReport

If he is found not at fault for the accident.

• May

I can only guess that your damage is going to be well over your deductible of $250.  It all comes down to the math.  You will have to consider any premium increase you MIGHT receive vs the $250. compared to what it would cost you by paying out of pocket and not using your insurance.

Get a damage estimate from a body shop so you can do the math.

Typically both cars backing and colliding will be a 50%-50% ACCIDENT AND EACH WILL END UP PAYING TO REPAIR THEIR OWN DAMAge

• car253
      1 month agoReport

Possibly.   But he does not say who hit who.  Or, if the other party hit him first.

• Scott

You were both at fault if you were both backing up. File a claim if you want to.

If the other guy wants to do a private settlement, offer him two options.

Option 1:  You present him with a professional repair estimate as soon as humanly possible, and he agrees to pay that full amount in certified funds within 48 hours.

Option 2:  You're notifying the insurance companies and they'll handle everything.

Those are the options, and those are the only options.  No you're not getting the repairs done at his buddy's garage, no you're not waiting until next Tuesday for the money, no you won't accept half now and half next month, and no you're not giving him more time to think it over.  Full amount in cash up front, or it's an insurance claim.

• car253
      1 month agoReport

Never accept money.   Always go through insurance.

• Ron

That's 2000 dollars of damage for a new door even if you can find a matching one at a junk yard. Report it to your insurance

That is a lot of damage and will be expensive.

If you have collision coverage, you should file a claim with your insurance.

If you don't, you are likely going to end up covering the damage yourself.

If you both were backing out, their insurance isn't going to claim responsibility.

• A Hunch
      1 month agoReport

In my example the poster doesn't have collision insurance, so there is no subrogation. 

If the other party does not want to go through insurance , ask them to pay for your damages.  If they agree , get it in writing.  If they do not, then your choice is to go through insurance and expect your rates to go up , or to live with the damage, or for you to pay to fix it.

.

The last choice may not seem fair but it may make economic sense.

Do what works for you, not the Mercedes driver