MS asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 month ago

A new iMac Pro costs $5000. Is it worth paying that much?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Anything a person is buying can break down the cost into categories.

Apple avoids providing details and usually sell to people who understand little about hardware and cost is not an important factor. $5000 is the base model.

It's a December 2017 release, not changed since.

Paying for a very fancy 5K display.

27-inch 5120‑by‑2880 500 nits high gamut. 

Most of the industry discontinued this in favor of a 34 inch wider aspect ratio.

Price the display now at about $1500 tops.

3.2GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W processor W-2140B 

Not as fast as an i7-10700K 

32GB 2666MHz ECC memory, configurable up to 256GB

1TB SSD storage¹

Radeon Pro Vega 56 with 8GB HBM2 memory

This is a 3D design gpu rather than gaming. Still RX Vega 64 is superior and RX Vega 56 similar enough. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8HwYYH

$1941 in hardware with comparable Windows outperforms it, without peripherals

Will allot $150 in mouse-keyboard real value despite Apple outrageous pricing.

Will be generous with $150 of provided software.

$1500 + $1941 + $150 + $150 = $3741

You pay $1260 in profit over retail plus construction plus smaller sizing plus Apple name.  It is not upgradable easily at all, and if breaking is a fortune to fix it.

Answer to your question therefore is that it is not worth it for the hardware and software but if willing to cough up an extra $1260 for a small size and Apple operating system and name.

The $3741 price shown is already including hardware and software at premium levels. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

$5000 is a steal, honestly I'm surprised Apple is even profiting. Any other company would sell something of that value and quality for like $12,000 minimum.

• 1 month ago

anyone here who is saying iMac isnt worth 5000 probably has had never used apple machine. the hardware efficiency, overall performance, and security they provide is best in the business.

• sirjester099
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Excuse me! I own an ibook G4 I bought back in 2007 that totally bricked after 1 year and 2 weeks! Because the crap warranty was only a year I got screwed! It would have costed me more to get it fixed (logic board was toast!) than what it was worth! So spare of the superior Apple BS.........

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Considering the components (motherboards, CPUs, RAM, GPUs...) are the same type/grade found in Windows, Linux machines the hardware would probably be worth no more than $3000 total are you willing to fork out an extra $2000 for the Mac OS? I would think not! The MacOSX is a decent operating system but it's not worth anymore than Windows 10 Pro is!

No operating system is worth anymore than $300 TOPS!

• ...Show all comments
    • Leslie1 month agoReport

You would be wasting money on the mac.  If you want an excellent quality, top of the line pc  the best option is MSI …  period.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

macs aren't worth $1000, but if you just absolutely need an Intel Xeon CPU, knock yourself out...

• Enigma
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

save your self about 4500 and get a decent chromebook

MSI is better.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have more than enough money to buy that computer, but I can't justify buying it.

Can you justify spending $5000, for a new iMac Pro?

dont buy the mac.   get  msi instead. 

• 1 month ago

Half the cost is the Apple logo.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Me, no !

• Rayal
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you plan on using it to make money a fast expensive computer can be worth it.

If you plan on just doing your homework and surfing the web not so much. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.