Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 5 months ago

Why is my roommate so weird about knowing when I will be home?

So I live with my best friend. We have been best friends since 7th grade and we are both 26 now. We do not have significant others and we don't really have friends over because our place is so small. But the 3 years I have lived with her she continues to be very weird about knowing when I will be home. If I have an appointment she wants to know when it will be done, if I am visiting family she wants to know if I am going to spend the night with them and what day I will be coming back specifically. And its not once in a while it is EVERY TIME. She always will ask multiple times if I do not give a clear timeline. I also tell her I will shoot her a text on my way home, but it is so weird to me that she is so persistent. When I know for a fact she is just at home watching tv.

Favorite Answer

Because having a roommate sucks especially when you live in such a small place.

Some people have a pretty significant need for alone time and it may really help your roommate to know how much alone time she will have and when she will have it.

well sometimes people just like to know who is in the house and mabye she just wants to make sure she knows that your there so she does not hit you with something for startleing her

Find out. Next time they ask you that, tell them a time, then come back way early. Like if you tell them 4 hours, suddenly appear in 2. Or less. LOLOL You`ll catch them at something. Probably sniffing your underwear or something. Or using your favorite sex toy.

• Rick

She values her privacy and likely wants to keep something hidden from you.  That's why she's so specific about the time you'll be back home.

You want people who have never met either her or you to tell you why she behaves as she does???

The only person who knows why your roommate is "so weird about knowing when [you] will be home" is YOUR ROOMMATE.

Have you ever talked to her about this?  You're asking total strangers why she does it, but nobody here can guess.  It's puzzling, though, if you haven't ever asked her why.  It's been 3 years! 

I do think there's middle ground here.  It's common courtesy when living with someone to let them know if you'll be gone overnight.  Overnight visits are different. If you aren't sure, or it might be more than 1 night, tell her you'll keep her posted.  But on everyday stuff and typical coming and going, she needs to back off.  You'll get home when you get home.

I'm still surprised you haven't said anything, though.

When she starts her interrogation, as her "why do you want to know?"  Be as vague as possible.  Living with your best friend can have disastrous results.

Shes

1) a lesbian and she is starting to REALLLY like you

2) you are her only friend and shes antisocial.

its prob 2.

Wow, three years living and you can't even ask, what kind of retarded relationship do you have. I'd rather live with my parents. Kind of makes sense that someone wants to know when people are going to come and go from the place they live in so they feel a bit safer. You're the weird one not her. 

Have to wonder why you think strangers on YA would be able to answer this better than her. You've known her more than half of your life, ask her.