Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 10 months ago

AUTISM IN ADULT FEMALE?

I have always felt different and have always questioned if I may be autistic, I’m 27 now and have had a few autistic people outright ask me if I am. I saw a video of a girl on facebook who is autistic and she explained the ‘symptoms’ and I feel exactly how she described. A big one of them was ‘masking’, I definitely feel as though I don’t behave how I’d truly like to and have always felt like an outcast. I have such a low self esteem, depression, I really struggle with crowds or queues and become really hostile, my family just say I’m miserable when I cannot handle these situations, it makes me feel like I’m going to explode as there is so much going on my ears cannot handle it. My mum always says ‘why cant you be more like your sisters’ as I’m not ‘caring’ enough and don’t express emotions, I really struggle with emotions I don’t know how to help somebody if they are sad or join in when somebody is happy. Who do I talk to about this? I’m in London and my doctors are quite crap, they don’t listen and I really need somebody to take me seriously as I really need to know wtf is going on with my head! I need to know why I have felt so different all of my life

Favorite Answer

UK answer

You will need a GP referral for an adult autism assessment through the NHS so if you're not happy with your current GP surgery you may want to register with a different practice. Once the pandemic is over simply walk into the GP surgery / medical centre of your choice with ID and proof of your home address and ask to register, you do not need to give a reason for moving. The doctor will want to know why you feel that you may be autistic so write down some notes about symptoms you experience and more importantly symptoms you experienced in childhood. It can help if you print out the AQ50 quiz and take that with you as well. https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-... Do you recognise the following symptoms in yourself?

Persistent difficulties with social communication and social interaction

SOCIAL COMMUNICATION

Autistic people have difficulties with interpreting both verbal and non-verbal language like gestures or tone of voice. Many have a very literal understanding of language, and think people always mean exactly what they say. They may find it difficult to use or understand:

facial expressions

tone of voice

jokes and sarcasm.

Some may not speak, or have fairly limited speech. They will often understand more of what other people say to them than they are able to express, yet may struggle with vagueness or abstract concepts. Some autistic people benefit from using, or prefer to use, alternative means of communication, such as sign language or visual symbols. Some are able to communicate very effectively without speech.

Others have good language skills, but they may still find it hard to understand the expectations of others within conversations, perhaps repeating what the other person has just said (this is called echolalia) or talking at length about their own interests.

It often helps to speak in a clear, consistent way and to give autistic people time to process what has been said to them.

Social interaction

Autistic people often have difficulty 'reading' other people - recognising or understanding others' feelings and intentions - and expressing their own emotions. This can make it very hard for them to navigate the social world. They may:

appear to be insensitive

seek out time alone when overloaded by other people

not seek comfort from other people

appear to behave 'strangely' or in a way thought to be socially inappropriate.

Autistic people may find it hard to form friendships. Some may want to interact with other people and make friends, but may be unsure how to go about it.

Read more about communication and social interaction, social isolation and social skills.

Restricted and repetitive patterns of behaviours, activities or interests

REPETITIVE BEHAVIOUR AND ROUTINES

The world can seem a very unpredictable and confusing place to autistic people, who often prefer to have a daily routine so that they know what is going to happen every day. They may want to always travel the same way to and from school or work, or eat exactly the same food for breakfast.

The use of rules can also be important. It may be difficult for an autistic person to take a different approach to something once they have been taught the 'right' way to do it. People on the autism spectrum may not be comfortable with the idea of change, but may be able to cope better if they can prepare for changes in advance.

HIGHLY-FOCUSED INTERESTS

Many autistic people have intense and highly-focused interests, often from a fairly young age. These can change over time or be lifelong, and can be anything from art or music, to trains or computers. An interest may sometimes be unusual. One autistic person loved collecting rubbish, for example. With encouragement, the person developed an interest in recycling and the environment.

Many channel their interest into studying, paid work, volunteering, or other meaningful occupation. Autistic people often report that the pursuit of such interests is fundamental to their wellbeing and happiness.

SENSORY SENSITIVITY

Autistic people may also experience over- or under-sensitivity to sounds, touch, tastes, smells, light, colours, temperatures or pain. For example, they may find certain background sounds, which other people ignore or block out, unbearably loud or distracting. This can cause anxiety or even physical pain. Or they may be fascinated by lights or spinning objects.

Like many undiagnosed autistic women I ended up in the mental health system and spent years in psychiatric hospitals. I'm now formally diagnosed after my GP recognised the symptoms and referred me for an assessment and I'm doing so much better now. In theory if you see your GP and ask for an autism assessment they should ask you 10 multiple choice questions and if you score 7 or higher they refer you. This doesn't always happen so it's wise to take information with you about why you feel you may be autistic.

• LAN

Why do you keep spamming this idiocy?