What's the most versatile bore patch size?

I want to buy a bulk pack of bore patches, and I'm trying to decide what size can generally work with most calibers, 9mm, .357, 10mm, .45, .30, .410, etc

• Quinn

There is not a one size that fits all calibers and you are wasting your money buying pre-made patches when all you have to do is cut up some disused cotton shirts. I haven't bought a single box of bore patches in over 20 years. All I do wash any old t-shirts (100% cotton) that do wear anymore and store them in a box. Whenever I need a bore patch, I take one out and cut it to size for whatever gun I am cleaning. Looking at my box of clean old t-shirts, I have enough to last me at least another 10 years.

• falconry2
      1 month agoReport

True indeed, I just figured that if he was going to buy some anyway just get right sizes. Personally, I've used pretty much anything handy when I had to. 

I buy the 12 gauge. Cut them in half you have a good 30 caliber patch. Cut the half’s into fourths and you got the right size for rimfire and .223.

3"--You can do 12 gauge and cut them down to any other caliber.

• Robin

i use 38 in all my sidearms ....no problems

There is no one size fits all. I get the large for my 12 Ga and cut them down for my .45, 7.62, and .22

Just pony up for some general sized pistol cleaning patches plus 30 caliber patches for rifles and a shotgun kit for the 410. Just like most hunters/shooters don't just use one caliber you can't use the same patch size effectively for everything either. You end up with a false economic model if you start cutting up patches for one size to fit others or not getting a good cleaning swipe with a too-small patch. I personally have several patch sizes specific enough for the calibers/bores I shoot, and since you need 2 or 3 kits or 1 expansive kit why worry about cheap expendable items.