What's the most versatile bore patch size?

I want to buy a bulk pack of bore patches, and I'm trying to decide what size can generally work with most calibers, 9mm, .357, 10mm, .45, .30, .410, etc

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Quinn
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

There is not a one size that fits all calibers and you are wasting your money buying pre-made patches when all you have to do is cut up some disused cotton shirts. I haven't bought a single box of bore patches in over 20 years. All I do wash any old t-shirts (100% cotton) that do wear anymore and store them in a box. Whenever I need a bore patch, I take one out and cut it to size for whatever gun I am cleaning. Looking at my box of clean old t-shirts, I have enough to last me at least another 10 years.

• falconry2
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

True indeed, I just figured that if he was going to buy some anyway just get right sizes. Personally, I've used pretty much anything handy when I had to. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I buy the 12 gauge. Cut them in half you have a good 30 caliber patch. Cut the half’s into fourths and you got the right size for rimfire and .223.

• 1 month ago

3"--You can do 12 gauge and cut them down to any other caliber.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i use 38 in all my sidearms ....no problems

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There is no one size fits all. I get the large for my 12 Ga and cut them down for my .45, 7.62, and .22

• 1 month ago

Just pony up for some general sized pistol cleaning patches plus 30 caliber patches for rifles and a shotgun kit for the 410. Just like most hunters/shooters don't just use one caliber you can't use the same patch size effectively for everything either. You end up with a false economic model if you start cutting up patches for one size to fit others or not getting a good cleaning swipe with a too-small patch. I personally have several patch sizes specific enough for the calibers/bores I shoot, and since you need 2 or 3 kits or 1 expansive kit why worry about cheap expendable items. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.