Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 2 months ago

Worried about blood pressure. Should I see a doctor?

Im 20yrs old, but my blood pressure has been rising over the last few months. I havent gained any weight (Im even a tad underweight). I have some active anxiety so I tend to worry more than I should. I was wondering if I should do something, like go see a doctor. My latest reading was 132/93. I am also having palpitations almost everyday, which only futher increases my worry. What should I do?

I forgot to add that my heartrate tends to be around 90-110 bpm. At first I chalked this down as be due to my anxiety, but even when I feel completely fine, it still tends to be this high.

• k w
    Favorite Answer

well, you need some nutrition, I had palpitations, but I took some tiny homeopathic pills, called mag/phos. and within a minute of taking them, the palpitations just stopped cold, they were going all day long, and I don't believe in coincidences, then loaded up on minerals later and the palpitations never returned......the BP is a different thing...you can control it with diet and exercise, but it will take an effort.....it's the

2nd number, anything over 80 is considered high, you're in the drivers seat, take control while you can, like Dr. Sherry Rogers says, maybe take drugs, but never stop trying to get off them, cuz they got unwanted side effects....herbs don't have side effects

but I'm not typical.....

You have a severe anxiety problem like me, mine affects my observations worse though. Blood pressure, oxygen levels and heart rate are all measured when at REST. When you're anxious, you're getting results for when your under the "fight or flight" response e.g. when you're running from a killer. In short, they are useless, 132/92 therefore is actually a good blood pressure when anxious because its still between 120/80 - 139/89 and that's pretty impressive as still not classed as high.

To do any harm, your blood pressure would consistently need to be elevated all the time which is highly unlikely the case due to your age as high blood pressure is only commonly seen in older individuals above 40 so you would need a medical condition to have high blood pressure. Blood pressure goes up when you sense danger, to escape a threat and goes down again when you relax, if it doesn't then that that what we call hypertension and your body cannot heal and causes damage.

3 years ago i was only 25. I always felt bad doing housework and stuff with my severe anxiety. At my GP, he clocked my blood pressure at 175/85. He did it again, 140/80 normal. Then a few months later, when i got told i had high cholesterol due to my fatty diet i decided i need to change my ways and became health obsessed so i sorted it and booked a blood pressure test and it was 160/83 two times. I panicked for 2 weeks just to get told the same thing same blood pressure.

Went to my GP obviously in a state and he looked at me saying I looked really anxious and he is confident this is all psychological. He recommended I either try checking it at home or get a 24 hour monitor and instructed me not to check it more than once. So a week later, I checked it at home and it was 120/80 and i felt really relieved and told my doctor. Bear in my mind, i was really relaxed that day and thoroughly believed there was nothing wrong with me so it reflected in the test.

As of this day, i tested it recently same blood pressure but if i get worked up it will display the old blood high one.

Good luck.

Contrary to the criticism I receive on this subject in here, your problems are the result of chronic dehydration.

Here are a few facts that others either ignore or just don't understand:

Blood is 94% water. When you maintain a dehydrated state, it loses around 8% of its water volume, which increases the workload on the heart, resulting in higher blood pressure.

With the heart working harder to maintain blood circulation, it can skip a beat, resulting in palpitations.

Water retention is also caused by dehydration (I mention this because there is a connection). The function of retaining water happens when you don't drink enough water - the body holds onto extra salt from food to hold the water it needs.

THIS is the "too much salt" that the medical profession claim causes high blood pressure. They see excess salt and high blood pressure and automatically, salt becomes the cause. They don't question the very same "too much salt" issue when it causes edema.

It's true that we get too much salt in processed foods. However, the higher salt content of these processed foods is needed to preserve food for longer shelf life.

But the body is able to dispose of this excess salt - it was designed to regulate itself. It takes whatever nutrients it needs from food and discards the rest because it has no place to store the nutrients for future use.

Whenever you lose water you lose salt - and an adult loses around 2 quarts of water per day (this is the "8-glasses of water" that doctors used to advise their patients to drink - but don't do anymore because promoting water isn't profitable).

When the body holds onto extra salt it does so only because it needs it - not to increase the blood pressure, but to hold onto water when you don't drink enough.

One last item to mention: People with high blood pressure are often advised to avoid salt (on the theory that salt causes high blood pressure).

Based on the laws of physics, if you eliminate the cause of a problem that problem should no longer exist. Thus, if you follow the advice to avoid salt, the blood pressure should resolve itself - there should be no need for medications (and certainly not for the lifetime of the patient).

But medications are prescribed nonetheless.

This proves that salt is not the bad guy. Instead of decreasing the salt (as they're told), if they would increase their water intake (which they're NOTtold) the blood pressure issue would, in fact, resolve itself.

Why are you constantly checking your PB and heart rate?  That is a sign of severe anxiety, hypochondria, or OCD. People who don't have a known medical condition that requires monitoring simply don't do this. 

Call your doctor and go in for an evaluation.  Ask for a referral to a therapist that deals with anxiety.  

You should have a family physician, no matter what your state of health. While you are waiting for an appointment, you might try some relaxation techniques, such as tai chi or one (or more) forms of yoga. There is a chance that your anxiety over COVID-19 is to blame and that you can correct the problem yourself. Keep the appointment anyway.

• Mark

Invest in a home BP monitor.  They are fairly inexpensive (about $50), but don't buy one of those trackers that fits on your wrist - they're not very accurate.  Then monitor it morning, noon, and before going to bed, and keep a journal.

That's a bit high at rest - but you're not at rest, you're panicking. Address the anxiety and that should sort out the blood pressure and the palpitations. Take a brisk mile walk every evening - that's far better at treating anxiety than any amount of pills.

• Steve

132 is okay, but 93 is a bit over the line. Try to see a doctor.