Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesBMW · 2 months ago

Why are used bmw's dirt cheap?

Like i have seem some bmw 3 series with similar mileage and year to a corolla or civic going for cheaper. Why is that?

Depreciation comes into factor when it comes to used bmws being in the market. They are also more expensive to maintain, or can be at least, therefore, they have to be cheaper to buy because you are spending more money in the long run. That just german engineering. I have friends who own bmws, one of them is paying skyrocket prices for maintenance on his f10 5 series.

• F

In the UK 10 yo Civics go for £2-4K, 3 series from £4-7k. However the Civics at the top price are low mileage and the cheaper BMWs are high mileage, so you can get one for the same price but it’s hardly a comparison.

Very expensive to repair when they get older. 

I have one and its been a few years and the breaks need to be replaced and I might need to sell my leg to do so.The BMW 3 series is actually rated the MOST expensive car to repair so beware especially of that car. 

Luxury comes at a price. 

• F
      1 month agoReport

Yeh the 3 series is more expensive to repair than a Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini.....

BMW's what   ?

• 99%Anonymous
      1 month agoReport

bmw 3 series is a saloon car 

• arther

because they are disposable cars that will empty your wallet when trying to keep an old one on the road, not many want them the only people that say they are good cars are those that buy them new and sell them after 2 or 3 years. 

• Eastside Guz
      1 month agoReport

Here are two videos that emphasized what arther told you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMgcxO8FvtE&list=TLPQMjIwNTIwMjDDCz1RhNzutQ&index=1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEgccoxnmPU

Because they cost way too much to fix at that mileage.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Kaz

They are very expensive to fix, even simple fixes.  

I once had to replace a Xenon headlight that stopped working on my 325i - it was around a thousand dollars.  Once my bumper to bumper warranty ended - my husband HATED that car... Lol...

Other answers are correct - they are notoriously difficult to keep running properly once they get past a certain age, parts are expensive, and you have to go to a mechanic that knows how to work on them.

Compare this with a Honda/Toyota - they tend to be more reliable, parts are relatively cheap, and most mechanics can work on them.

Because data proves that a used BMW is far more likely to break down, and will cost far more to repair when it does.

BMW is widely known as one of the least reliable vehicle brands on the market, whereas Toyota is considered one of the most reliable.

expensive to fix, and you need to fix them a lot.