promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does planned obsolescence more often apply to city buses or subway cars?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

whenever I'm having a bad day I always think "Things could be a lot worse. I could be Ben."  

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

Reported again.

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

You are the most pathetic loser on this website. Of all the things there are in this world to obsess over, you choose to fixate on vehicle model numbers and celebrity's names. What a waste of an existence. 

• Anonymous
    5 days ago

I wish it applied to your stupid questions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

read the sign folks..

Attachment image
  • 5 days ago

Neither really.

City buses and subway cars tend to be purchased based on their ability to be reliable, repairable, and are only replaced once they have served out their intended lifespan.

'Planned obsolescence' only really comes into play with consumer grade electronics - most of which are not intended to be repaired (or even repairable), and which will tend to fail at (or very soon after) their warranty runs out.

Even then, some people find ways of fixing and/or extending the life of various devices - and there are flukes that continue to work far beyond their intended lifespan (of course, there are also cases like iPhones where Apple was found to be purposefully slowing down older phones).

People tend to not really care about the planned obsolescence model, as they have become used to simply replacing their electronic devices on fairly regular schedule with the newest ones (some people absolutely 'must' have the newest ones).

For some it's just bragging rights and/or keeping up appearances, but while the newest devices often have features that older ones do not, they also often have bugs that haven't been worked out yet.

I tend to operate from a 'if it ain't broke, don't replace it' mentality - but even when I do upgrade, I will generally go one model back from the 'bleeding edge' technology - and I'm rarely disappointed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.