Lonesome Rhodes asked in SportsBaseball · 2 months ago

Felix Hernandez: 'Fringe' HoF Candidate?

A recent article on King Felix mentioned the 34 year old hurler has personal goals of 200 career wins and 3,000 strikeouts. The former Seattle ace signed a minor league deal with Atlanta in January and currently has 169 wins and 2,524 strikeouts.

The article stated that reaching those goals would enhance Hernandez's chance of being inducted and called him a 'fringe' Hall of Fame candidate at this point.

So how about it? Hernandez has had some outstanding achievements in his career. He won a Cy Young Award in 2010. He's a 6X All Star. He led all of MLB in wins in 2009 and has led the AL in ERA twice. He's thrown a perfect game and an immaculate inning but has he done enough?

After starting at least 30 games a season for 10 consecutive years Hernandez averaged 21 starts over his last 4 campaigns and topped out at 28 starts in that time.

He averaged 13 wins a year in his first 11 seasons but has averaged just 6.5 over the last 4. After topping 200 innings for 8 straight years he's averaged 116 innings per year since 2016. Even more troubling is the fact that his ERA has increased in each of the last 4 years as has his average hits allowed per 9 innings.

31 wins and 476 may not seem like much for a good pitcher to tally but Felix is no longer a good pitcher. Even if he reaches his goals I would argue that he is not HoF material and instead is a candidate for the Hall of Very Good.

Thoughts?

There's so many pitchers, especially starters, who are in the Hall of Fame that were worse than Felix. Jack Morris, a great example. Career ERA of 3.95 ERA isn't great at all. And to be honest, I don't think Morris was every someone who the majority of fans would considered elite. Felix was on the elite level as a starting pitcher for years. I think he gets in but it won't be quick. 

Mariners HOF but not the one in Cooperstown.

• KaleyK

Felix is not Hall of Fame material.  I grew up with a baseball junkie for a dad and my mom is from Oregon, so she's a Mariners fan.  I was only about 9 when Felix first took the mound, but any time he was pitching we were tuned in for the game ... for many years.  "King Felix" was truly the king for many years.  He was one of the most feared and dominant pitchers in baseball.  He played for a horrible team in some of their worst years.  I remember a game where Felix hit a grandslam ... and still didn't win the game.  However, Felix faded fast in his last years.  Maybe because he started early (age 19).  But more likely because Felix refused to adjust his style of pitching; he refused advice from pitching coaches: he refused to train & stay in shape.  He seems to have felt he could continue to pitch like he did when he was 20 years old.  That doesn't work for anyone (except maybe Nolan Ryan).  None of his numbers, not traditional numbers, and not advanced metric numbers, suggest he is HOF material.  I will always love Felix but he just doesn't have a HOF career. 

• David

26-35 over the past four seasons does not argue for HOF on merit.  I can't see a path for him.

I vote based on the number of big stinky poops the player has taken 

He's averaged 11 wins and 28 starts a year. I don't think someone who wins 39% of his starts is an elite pitcher.

Maddux won 48% of his. So did Seaver. Cy Young won 56% of the game that he appeared in. 

Hernandez took the money and stopped trying.

If I had a vote, he would not get it.