How do I get my dad to let us sell the apartment?

So, me and my mom live in a different country than my dad, we decided it was best to move to the city but to be able to afford the apartment we need to sell our current one. Even though my dad's name is no where on the apartment we still need permission from him. I messaged him and he said no to selling it cause hes just trying to b a nuisance. My mom is at a loss

8 Answers

  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Are your parents still legally married? If so, this sounds like this might be an issue regarding dower rights. I'm pretty sure only Ohio, Kentucky, and Arkansas still recognize those rights in the US. Basically, even if his name isn't on the deed or mortgage, he still needs to sign paperwork when it comes to the home sale. This is done to eliminate potential title disputes and prevent married couples from selling assets out from under one another. They protect the legal interest of a spouse who doesn't hold title to a property. Mostly, it's just a big pain in the ***. Hence why most states don't recognize dower rights anymore.

    I would STRONGLY recommend speaking with a local attorney who specializes in real estate law to see what options are available to you. Dower rights are very uncommon in the US and the fact that your dad resides in another country makes this way more complicated. You need real legal help on this, not just a bunch of strangers on the internet.

  • 4 months ago

    You'll need to try to talk to your dad in person. Explain it gently--this is a bad situation for your mom. I'm going to assume that as a wife she has no rights without her husband's agreement?  (obviously not the USA.) I don't know how you go about defying a country's laws--so the only thing she and you can do is to try to convince your father to bend on this. 

  • 4 months ago

    If his name is not on it then no you do not need his permision. If he does not own it then he gets no say in the matter. 

  • 4 months ago

    Mom needs to negotiate with Dad.  Think of something he wants but can't have because your mother is against the idea.  Then make a trade so that Dad gets something if he is willing to cooperate.  OR Mom may need to divorce Dad to have the marital assets divided.  Doing so would take Dad's ability to deny the sale away from him if Mom is awarded the apartment.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

    'Even though my dad's name is no where on the apartment'

    Why do you need permission?

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    "Even though my dad's name is no where on the apartment we still need permission from him." WHY? That iis what your mother needs to find out as if he is 'not in the country' then what country are you in? One where women have no rights, are second class citizens and can't own/sell property in their own right... other than that, no one needs his permission as he isn't even in the country

  • 4 months ago

    How do you need his permission if his name is not on it? Call a lawyer.

  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

    my dad's name is no where on the apartment????????????????  So why do you need his permission? He has no say if he is not an owner.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.