Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Russia · 2 months ago

Can someone tell me how women are treated in Russia and how it is dealt with in modern-day (2020)?

I'm writing a book and a character I have is from Russia, a country I don't know much about. To anybody who's lived in Russia. can you tell me how women are treated there?

Favorite Answer

This is from 2016 but it sounds about right.

https://www.seeker.com/whats-life-really-like-for-...

If you know nothing about Russia, choose other country for your character, country that you know.

• hihi!
      1 month agoReport

WRITE ABOUT THINGS YOU KNOW OR PEOPLE WILL SEE YOU AS A FOOL. American translation for "If you know nothing about Russia, choose other country for your character, country that you know."

Most writers advise new writers to write what they know.  I can tell you one thing that might help- there was an interview with the creators of the show "Everybody Loves Raymond" about why the show wasn't successful in Russia. He said that one reason was because the wife dresses casually when at home- in sweat pants and t-shirts. He said wives in Russia are told to dress up to keep their husbands interested. It's like the 1950s in the US when women got up before their husbands to put their makeup on and fix their hair, and greeted the husbands at night in sexy outfits. I know a Russian woman who married an American man, and it's true that she's always a little overdressed. She comes to picnics in pretty dresses and heels. 

Domestic violence stopped being against the law recently...

NB if you're writing a book, never write about something you know nothing about. Readers will know.