Where should We stop driving from Boston to Florida?

My husband and I are driving to Florida from Boston in December. We’ve driven before... however we were on such a time crunch we didn’t get to enjoy it as we took turns driving and drove through the night and only stopped for bathroom breaks and to stretch. This trip we will have much more time to make the drive and can really enjoy it and are looking for places to visit along

The way. 

It’s going to be a 2.5 week trip and are allowing 3 days to drive each way.

Favorite Answer

It really depends how much more time. I would suggest going through Cape May, NJ (taking the ferrry) passing through Ocean City, MD to Assateague National Seashore (wild horses). That route will take you much longer, but worth it.

Hilton Head in SC is nice and not very far off 95. I've never been to Savanah but heard very good things about it.

And what trip would not be complete without a stop at South of the Border...ok, you can skip it but make sure you look as you drive by.

Of course there's always DC to check out the Smithsonian or whatever

Your information is not clear. If you want to spend the bulk of the time in Florida, and you are allowing for three days each way driving, then frankly, you will not have much time during the drive between your two destinations for much but driving, food, gas and bathroom stops and motel nights.

Because the one way drive is 1340 miles, if mid Florida is your destination, if it's Miami, then that would be 1500 miles with Google optimistically saying that that's a bit over 20-22 hours of actual driving time. But, stops to eat can take an hour for each such stop, fueling means 15 minutes or so, and so on.

So, unless you want to add at least a day along the drive, doing any significant tourism along the drive isn't going to be possible.

Your route will be the I-95 most of the way, and be aware that until you get past Washington DC, that will be a crowded road.

• Foofa

Stop when you get to the edge of Florida and you see ocean ahead. ;-)

If you have not been there then I recommend stopping in Washington, DC. It is about nine hours drive from Boston which will be at least a third of your total trip (depending on exactly where in FL you are going and traffic). You can at least get a feel for the city in a day, and it would be worth it to have at least one whole day in DC. You might want to stop there again on the way home.

If you don't want to stop in DC then stop a bit north of DC so you don't have to navigate the DC metro area in the dark going south.  Stop a bit south of DC going home. Then do the leg to get home in the daytime the next day.  

Both Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA are about 10 hours drive from DC.  Maybe one going and the other on the way home. 

probably when you see a place thats interesting

• A.J.

Probably better off flying in December. If driving, you could see the nation's capital Washington DC. I found Luray Caverns interesting in Virginia

https://luraycaverns.com/

Charlotte, NC

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g49022-Charlot...

Is Charleston, SC of interest?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54171-Act...

You didn't state how many days your trip would be. I would make DC your first stop from Beantown. Enjoy the day there. The sites are free, including the Smithsonian (if you're into museums). Then head over to Alexandria or further south for the night. My next stop for a day and a night would be Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. before heading into FLA.

Search Trip Advisor for things to do and places to see while there. List things you wold like to see and place dots on the map to see if they all can be done in one day or just select your top 3 places and do them before continuing on your trip.

Good luck and don't forget to have fun...it's not a race.

This should be something you and your husband should talk about, I am sure that you won't want to stop in New York, even through it would very early in your trip, and I am sure you won't want tops top so soon in less you want to get food, gas, rest stop, place to spend the night. I don't know what you and your husbands interests are, but if there are places that would be interesting for both of you, then have a go at it. A long as it doesn't set you to far back. If one or both of you like baseball, then I would recommend the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factor, but that might be out of the way. But this trip is in December, so you have plenty of time. It is not like you re taking it tomorrow.

• Mark

Virginia...  After that, not till S Carolina...