Could you describe John Williams' music as 20th century neo-classical?

• 6 days ago
    Favorite Answer

I am a music theorist.  Most film composers write in offshoots of middle- style Romanticism.  Not enough divergence to sound like Mahler or Richard Strauss - yet not as as classic period as Mozart or Beethoven - unless they are writing incidental music of the style of the era in which the film is set.  (We find a LOT of things that are anachronistically WRONG -  anybody who went thru music school could look of the DATE of a composition before they stick it in the movie, 5 years too early!  Classical or pop - same error. )Film music is not to be confused, on the whole, with legitimate orchestral concert music.  Have there been cross-overs? Sure. But just because a traditional orchestra is used, does not make the output Classical Music.  And many film composers are stuck in one style, regardless of the film.  And some like Korngold and the Newmans were always inventive - but they had some "phone it in" moments, too.   (Repair of typos, etc.)

• 6 days ago

I'm not sure. I suppose it's posible.