What's a delicious "poor person" meal?

• 1 day ago

Try getting bread and microwave it for about 10 seconds then put anything you want on it! The bread becomes 10x better

• 4 days ago

mcdonalds boo u know

• 5 days ago

One of my favorite low-income recipes is called "Hoppin' John." It's rice and black beans, with chopped onion and sausage, a touch on the spicy side. 

I also like black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread. 

When you have no money to buy fresh foods, rice and beans cooked together were always a good bet--and they're very nutritious to boot. 

• 5 days ago

Rice Patties. I still LOVE then!!!

• 6 days ago

To my mind, nothing in this world is better than a pot of pinto beans, boiled with smoked pork (ham hock?) and served with diced sweet onion. Soak the beans overnight, drain, and cover with water. Boil until some skins break and a rich gravy emerges. Salt to taste when near complete. Heaven! BTW, cornbread takes it over the top.

• kswck2
    6 days ago

Redneck Casserole: Layer baked beans, hot dogs, Fritos or tater tots and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees 40-50 minutes.

• denise
      6 days agoReport

Yeah! I'd eat that.

• Mark
    6 days ago

Hash, corn souffle, mac and cheese (if you are going to use the stuff from a box, doctor it up some - a "poor person" meal doesn't have to be BLAND - try a small tin of stewed or diced tomatoes, put some bread crumbs on top, run it under the broiler for a VERY few minutes, and voila!), beans and rice.

• 6 days ago

Spaghetti, grated cheese and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Our 80s and 90s skid row dish.

• 6 days ago

Boiled potatoes and vegetables. With refried beans,or Vienna sausage and bread--or a tortilla, instead of the bread.

You get protein and carbs, along with vegetables and grains in the bread. This is a complete meal. That's the least expensive balanced  meal, I can think of.

• 6 days ago

Tortillas and whatever you can put on a skillet.