Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 week ago

is it normal to miss your mom one year after she passes away?

I'm 14, my passed away when i was 13. She passed in April 2019. I've been missing her a lot lately and i dont know why. Its been over a year so I didn't tell anyone about it because they are assuming that im fine. I've been also been missing my aunt, my moms sister, and she died in 2017! I just think about them all the time, is this normal? what should i do

Updated 5 days ago:

edit- thank u all for the advice! much appreciated. 

• 4 days ago

Of course it is. A year really isn't as long of a time as people think it is. Also the best way to deal with it is honestly to let yourself feel those emotions that come with loss im not saying it will be easy but its better than you drinking your problems away when you get older please don't end up being one of those girls because they aren't dealing with their emotions properly. Ignoring those emotions and trying to forget it doesn't work because you're gonna remember the next day, your depression will be worse, and you run the risk of becoming an alcoholic. Life is hard enough without having that as a problem. Im not telling you how to live you do what you want when you grow up but im just saying don't ever let it come to the point where you don't know how to deal with your feelings anymore because then you'll really end up feeling lost. Read a book, watch a movie, watch youtube videos, hang out with friends, talk to a therapist etc. keep yourself distracted until you feel you can handle it and when you feel those sad feelings cry at home, scream, yell, do whatever you have to do to make yourself feel better so those feelings don't build up because it's like having to throw up the more you try to hold it back the more powerful those feelings are gonna become until you let it out. Hope this helps, sorry for your loss, and good luck to you.

• 5 days ago

yes, my condolences.

• cocoprincess83
      5 days agoReport

I'm 37 my mother passed when I was 16 this August it will be 21 years. My father passed 2 years after she did. I miss them both everyday all the time. It hurts just as much now as it did the day she died. There's no time limit on grief. It's ok to miss them and to be sad. 

• car253
    5 days ago

Sorry for you loss.   There is no time limit on your feelings.   You need to talk about it with your family or someone you are close to.    We never get over the loss of someone close to us.    That never fully goes away.    It is very normal. 

Your friends and family will understand.   Its ok to talk to them.   

• 6 days ago

I lost my grandfather in 2011 and my dad still cries about the loss every now and then. I think that is normal for humans.

• e9601:
    6 days ago

I'm so sorry for your loses. Yes it is normal to miss her. There is no time limit for mourning, it takes as long as it takes. Share your loss and sadness with someone you trust and can talk to. My dear, I know what your going through. I also mourn.

• t6 days agoReport

hi how are you

6 days ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.

It's normal to miss her and it's okay to miss her.  You don't have to do anything about it unless you feel your loss is debilitating. It's okay not to be fine all the time, and if you want to talk about your mom and have a good cry, then that's okay as well.

I have lost many people over the years and I still miss them, sometimes more than other. I lost an aunt who was like a mother to me in January 2004, and just the other day while filling the dishwasher, I was suddenly struck by how much I missed her. I could almost hear her laughter, smell her perfume, feel her kiss my cheek like she always did, and I just wished she was there so I could talk to her. Perfectly normal.

Big hugs to you.

• 6 days ago

YOU are a normal person that misses your mother and the wonderful memories that once was.IT is said you never miss the water until the well runs dry ,like a mother when she closes her eyes.MAY GOD grant you peace until you meet again. 

• Elle
      5 days agoReport

@paschal d,  this is off track but I wanted to leave you with an answer from a previous question of yours about who sang "Walk On By"... I was there!
       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_On_By_(song) 

• 7 days ago

My mom died 21 years ago and I still miss her. It's even harder when you are so young and still living at home. So, yes, it's very normal. 

• rich7 days agoReport

I am so sorry for you, i lost my dad, never got over it, god bless you

• 7 days ago

OMG YESSSS...u will miss her forever. One year is not a long time at all. ur very young so its bound to be extremely hard on you to try to learn a new way of life.

i dont have no suggestions for u but just know ur normal.

• rich7 days agoReport

I love your answer, will you like to become friends?

• 1 week ago

Do you have someone close to you you can talk to?  It’s very hard losing your mom at any age but at 13, I can only imagine.  What you’re experiencing is normal and very understandable.