Is Bakersfield different from the rest of California?

Because it is strongly influenced by country music (Merle Haggard lol).

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, it is the only part of the state contained entirely by the boundaries of Bakersfield. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, there are a lot of horrid places in California. I wouldn't put Bakersfield as high on the list as say Stockton, but Bakersfield and Fresno and Redding are holes too.  

• Jim
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Amen. I was raised in Fresno. Bakersfield needs help!

• 2 months ago

Indeed. An Okie is a resident, native, or cultural descendant of Oklahoma. In the mid-1930s, during the Dust Bowl era, large numbers of farmers fleeing ecological disaster and the Great Depression migrated from the Great Plains and Southwest regions to California mostly along historic U.S. Route 66. Californians began calling all migrants by that name, even though many newcomers were not actually Oklahomans. The migrants included people from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Colorado and New Mexico, but were all referred to as "Okies" and "Arkies."  More of the migrants were from Oklahoma than any other state, and a total of 15% of the Oklahoma population left for California. Once the Okie families migrated from Oklahoma to California, they often were forced to work on large farms to support their families.

• 2 months ago

I agree with DEBS. California is very large, similar to Texas. There are multiple regions with different industries, population mixes, weather and even geology. Bakersfield being in the Central Valley is a mix of farming as well as oil and gas. 

Over the years I have visited all of the various parts of the state and found them all to be interesting and worth consideration for a vacation destination. I have to also say the state just has a different "feel" than any other state I have visited.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

My Grandmother lives down there. In Downtown Bakersfield 

Downtown Bakersfield

The movie Phat Beach Was Filmed In Bakersfield.

There is shoes all over the telephone poles, that is the only place where i see sneakers hanging.......

I think it's a nice place to go sometimes though.

I did not get the chance to go to Bakersfield yesterday due to coronavirus............

• 2 months ago

There is no 'rest of California' as there is no one California. It's a huge state with more diversity of lifestyle and attitudes than probably any other state in the union.

PS:

Why is this in Geography (Sciene/Math).

Why would you laugh out loud (I highly doubt you did) when you mention Merle Haggard?

• 2 months ago

Different how? music tastes do not change the weather, for example.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.