Why numbers are replaced with dates on google docs?

for example, 32 becomes Jan 31 1900 and 33 is Feb 1 1900

Update:

*google sheets

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Computers store dates in one of two ways. EITHER they store a text string (such as "19 May 2020") that can be converted to an internal date, or they store the date in a numerical value that can be converted to a formatted text string.  You can only store dates in one way or the other.

In the case of dates in general, most programs and operating systems I know will  store dates as a number.  That number represents the number of days since a reference date, which is often called their "Epoch" date.  It would appear that the Epoch date for Google sheets (i.e. Day 1 of their Epoch) is 31 Dec 1899.

Just for fun, Windows uses a similar Epoch date. Oddly enough, some members of MS Office use an Epoch date that is 1 day apart from the Windows date.  UNIX uses 1 Jan 1970.  OpenVMS uses 17 Nov 1858 (which has astronomical implications).

ALL of the systems I just named store dates as the number of days since the Epoch date.  For Windows in the year 2020, that number is over 40,000.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Who tf uses google sheets

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

i think you mean Google Sheets.

and it has to do with how your cell is formatted. you need to set it to Text or Number instead of Date.

you can select all cells before changing it to make them all uniform if you want.

• 2 months ago

The field is formatted as a Date

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In Google Sheets you can set the number format of a cell, row or column to "number", "date" or "currency". I haven't done much with Docs.

• Cei
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It sounds lie you're trying to do something in a spreadsheet application.

The cells are formatted as dates. (Dates are held as the number of days from 1 January 1900, so day 1 is 1/1/1900, day 32 is 31/1/1900).

Reformat the cells as numbers.

• 2 months ago

for example, 32 becomes Jan 31 1900 and 33 is Feb 1 1900

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I was born on January 31, 1977.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.