Brian asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 5 months ago

How do I downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 using a Windows 7 installer CD?

I'm pretty sure I have a pirated copy of Windows 10. I can't access a bunch of key features. For example, I can't update to the latest version of Windows 10. I can't access sound properties. Properties doesn't work when I right click on a desktop icon and click on properties.

So here's everything I've tried:

Tried "Reset this PC" - Failed EVERY single time I've tried. And it's been about 30 attempts so far.

Tried, "Advanced startup" using a boot drive on a USB stick. Also does not work.

So I recently received a "Windows 7 Home Premium" Install Disc and I'm trying to use it to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and upgrade the right way to Windows 10.

So is there any way to use this disc to get back to Windows 7?

• Bill-M
    Favorite Answer

Why don't you just download a legal copy of 10??

Use Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  Use you old Windows 7 KEY to activate 10.

It is totally free to upgrade from 7 to 10 if you do it right.

• windows 7 is out of date keep windows 10 or try linux if you do not like windows 10

u cant downgrade and you shouldn't. suffer with the rest of us. u gotta use windows 10 or get a mac lol

Win7 is not supported nor will it ever get a security update. You would be extremely unwise to use that. The proper course of action would be to fix your Windows 10. If you aren't knowledgeable enough to figure it out, hire someone who is. I wouldn't rebuild an engine or do knee surgery on myself. No reason to think everyone can maintain their computer either.

So why don't you just enter the Windows 7 key into the Windows 10 activation box? Open up settings go to where it says security and updates and click on the box that says Windows activation. See if Windows is activated if it's not activated. You can take a Windows 7 key that matches whatever Windows 10 you happen to have like home goes with home and professional goes with professional. Just put the Windows 7 key in the little box and click activate and if it's not activated in just about a minute it will activate it will use the Windows 7 key just fine. If that turns out to not be your problem. download the Windows 10 media installation tool and make yourself a USB installer and reinstall Windows 10 the right way from the boot menu and it will work just fine! I do this every day I'm a Windows 10 technician trust me it will work just fine I do it everyday.

• keerok

Pop in the CD to the computer then boot from it. Onscreen instructions are plain and simple.

So why go back to win10 afterwards? You've already proven it doesn't work. You'll hit that same problem again. Win7 is much more stable and if you have an older computer, it should be a better fit for you. Just disable automatic upgrades at once. It's useless already (as you have proven yourself).

Do you really "need" windows at all?

If yes- then your best bet is to pursue a valid copy of win 10.

If no- then why not try something like Linux Mint? Its free.....its better than windows for most folks (maybe not all?) and you don't have issues.

I have been using Mint or Ubuntu since 2008 without issues- well, one main issue- trying to figure out which one I like best.

I have 2 laptops here- this one is running Ubuntu Mate, and the other has Linux mint Mate. I don't have security issues, I don't have update/upgrade issues- it just works.

Windows does not like going backwards.  Easiest thing is to insert a new or formatted used hard drive and then insert the Win7 disk and make it install from scratch.  

If you don't have access to a second hard drive - then remove yours and connect to another computer and remove any files you want, then format it.  Then put it back in your computer and insert the disk.

Keep in mind Windows 7 is OBSOLETE.  You may or many not get the updates and all the drivers that make it work like it once did.

You failed to mention if you have a license key for this Win7 disk.  If you do, then insert the disk, load it and then use the key to authorize it.  It will update enough of Win7 from Microsoft online so it can go to Win10.  If you have a valid Win7 key you can go to 10 for free.  (hey, that rhymed!)