In Japan, concerning credit cards, are Master Cards more difficult to use than Visa cards?

Favorite Answer

Not really. If any card is harder to use, it would be AmEx. Whenever possible, using your credit card is the ideal way to pay, IF your card does not charge you any foreign exchange fees. Mine doesn't, and I pay for all my big ticket items that way - hotels, medium to long distance trains and buses & passes, many chain stores, taxis, etc. Small mom & pop stores often don't take credit cards (unless they deal with a lot of tourists), but the notion that you can't use cards in Japan is such a tired cliché these days. Definitely have enough cash on you to get you through the day, but card usage has gone way up compared to several years ago.

• Answered question effectively with added information that was helpful.

No, I can tell you my Canadian MasterCard worked just fine in a Japanese post office ATM. I thought it would be a hassle, but it went just fine. The "cash is king" era may finally be over in Japan. 

• Thank you for this. I was mainly interested in Master Card vs. Visa, and it seems you have addressed this. You also point out what it is like to use an ATM, which brings up the question of whether debit cards are the same, i.e., are Master Cards as easy to use in order to withdraw cash.

Both are same in Japan.

Interestingly enough, Japan is only recently moving away from a cash society. So Scott is possibly quite right and the TD is from someone who doesn't know or is too lazy research any better.

https://www.travel-kyoto-maiko.com/traveltips/japa...

Idk. Never been to japan

• chu2 months agoReport

Funny how you waste your time disliking, and replying unhelpful comment rather than responding to the helpful one.

• Scott

Japan is a cash-based society and very few merchants accept any kind of credit cards.