Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

Does law enforcement actually care if you drive with your permit without taking your first behind the wheel lesson?

I want to drive but I haven't taken my behind the wheel lessons because of Coronavirus. If I drive and get stopped by the police, will they care if I haven't taken my lessons yet?

I'm in the state of California driving under a California DMV Instructional Permit. 

• Edna

If you have an "Instructional Permit" (a restricted Learner's License?), you're driving legally (if there is a licensed driver accompanying you), and law enforcement doesn't care if you've taken "behind the wheel" driving lessons or not. You don't ever have to take "behind the wheel" driving lessons at all, but you DO have to take and pass the Written portion of the driving test. Which you've already done, or else you wouldn't have a permit. 

WHY can't you respect the well established law?  Why is it ok to go around the law because of this or because of that?  Without having any "behind the wheel" training, what makes you seem to think that you are qualified to drive?  I think it's a big mistake.

I have been greatly inconvenienced by this covid19 situation, but I just stay home and keep myself busy there.

The police will be happy to confiscate the vehicle and cite you for all your violations.  If you are unlicensed, then any insurance on the car will not be in effect.

Can you ride a bicycle?

Caring about that stuff is what cops everywhere do for a living.

You can drive with the permit, but never alone.

Yup. They will run an investigation if an unlicensed (and therefore uninsured) driver gets pulled over or has a crash. Will not be able to buy insurance if you have a driving record before you have a drivers license.

You must drive with your parent, guardian, spouse, or an adult 25 years of age or older, who has a valid California driver license.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/teenweb/p...

Have them take you to a park so you can practice.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

Forget about your 'registration paper'. If you have license plates on your car or a current registration sticker on your windshield, that is proof that the car is registered.  You wouldn't have either of those if your car was NOT registered.