why don't th black youths follow after jazz anymore??in th ghettoes nobody listens to jazz anymore. Its all his hop or crap music. explain.?

• ?

"Old timey" stuff that doesn't always make me feel good.

Is this any more pronounced with black youths than any other demographic? I doubt it. A few who are deep into music are into jazz, the same with any demographic. When I went and saw live jazz I would say the jazz audiences were about as close to being representative of the general demographics of the area as any audiences you could find, racially, age-wise (of the ages that could get into the clubs) the whole bit.

Its because "jazz" doesn't have a good beat. You may think it does, but thats why rock and roll and these other genres took over jazz in the first place, because technically they are louder music.

It doesnt drop. Its not devils music anymore. Its the music of the "elderly".  Its not a banger anymore. Play old jazz in front of youth, and they will leave the party.

The youth want to hear clicks or drops and variety of instruments, not "soft wimpish" ride cymbals all day long and the same 5 or 6 instruments played on  almost every jazz song. Every jazz song is the same, but listen to modern music- its a different beat a different musical instrument every single song every single time.

Jazz is not just for Black youth. It's not only Black youth listening to junk, it's youth period. I believe a large part of the reason for the lack of appreciation for a variety of music genres among young people is the elimination of music appreciation classes in many of the school systems across the nation. While there is still quality music out there, our youth, for several generations now have been exposed to a lot junk called music via various media.

A lot of the hip-hop artists look to jazz and r&b as sources for their beats.

It's not only the black youth. It seems that the youth of today is aware of less old music (all genres) than the youth of my day.

I suspect that the loss of Music Appreciation classes (funding) in the middle schools might be one cause. But it also seems that today's popular artists do fewer old standards and give less credit to the old songs. The second tier of popular musicians does explicitly honor their predecessors, but the top tier, not as visibly.

• Mamianka

Excellent insight. We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

• martin

It's the sign of the times. Music follows the mood and thinking of the majority.

• Mamianka

Hardly.  Otherwise, instead of a long classical career, I works be sitting at a Taylor Swift concert.  And that thought has made me nauseous .  .