How do I apply for green card through my mother who married an American guy?

I'm a 29 years old single woman. Can I get green card through my mother, who married an American guy who lives in Seattle, Washington with my mother. She currently has a temporary visa since September 2020, and she'll be getting her green card by July 2021. When/How do I start my process? Do I have to wait until my mother gets her green card, or can I somehow include myself in her process and get my green card sooner? What kind of visa will I have until my green card is ready? 

If I'm not entitled to green card, what would be my options? Wait for her to get citizenship?My mother's new American husband is also very much willing to help me out. He can sponsor or do whatever it takes.Thanks in advance!

• Lisa A
    Favorite Answer

You have to wait until your mother actually has a green card to start your chain migration. In July 2021, when your mother gets her green card, if you are still unmarried, your mother can start the process by fileing a form I-130 for you. Then about 5 years after that, if you are still unmarried, you will be invited for a medical exam and an interview for your visa.There is no visa for waiting for a visa. You wait in your own country until your green card is ready.

You're an adult; you can't be included in your mother's application.

They'll need to sponsor you; this will take at least a decade.

You are an adult, not a minor child. IF you remain unmarried (Never married!), and if your mother gets a green card & earns enough to support self, spouse, any dependents, plus you, she can file a petition for your immigration. You will be F2B category. Depending on your citizenship, you will wait 6 - 22 years before your Priority Date becomes current & you are scheduled for visa interview, etc. You must remain in your country while waiting. Since your mother's petition proves your intent to remain in the US, you are no longer eligible for any temporary visa. 

If you ever marry - or have ever been married - your mother cannot petition for your immigration until she becomes a US citizen. For F3 category petitions, waits for Priority Date to become current so that you get scheduled for visa interview are currently running 12 - 24 years, depending on your citizenship. Current waiting times are subject to change, and often regress due to the very high volume of petitions waiting for limited number of available visas.

• Foofa

You wait until your mother naturalizes (three years if she's receiving her green card through marriage) and then she applies to sponsor you. As you're over 21 this will also take many years. You're an adult and not a blood relation to her US citizen husband and therefore his only part in this would be to sponsor your mom. This is called "chain migration".

• Maxi

You don't, she is a temporary resident....... she might be able to start an appliction once she has perminant status of the green card, but you are over 21 so it could take many years before potentially you could get a visa