Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

In your opinion is it morally wrong to give a severely autistic man alcohol?

My cousin is severely autistic, he’s 21 now and just started learning how to speak 3 years ago, his mother is still responsible for his care but I found out that she was allowing him to have alcohol including hard liquor. I realize that he is of age but I just feel because he isn’t mentally capable of making his own decisions that maybe it isn’t the best choice? He’s mentally a 5 year old basically, it just feels wrong to me, opinions?

Favorite Answer

If your aunt is your cousin's legal guardian, she needs to be really careful doing this because she can get into a lot of trouble for it. And morality has nothing to do with why. Giving alcohol or any other intoxicant to someone who is severely mentally disabled is considered a crime in a lot of states. The disabled person lacks the capacity to give consent, and is therefore considered to be a ward of either the guardian or the state, depending on the circumstances.

Yes it's very wrong as for everyone to drink alcohol and worse to give it to someone. Drinking alcohol is the mother to all evils and you should stay away from it . The best of people which are both muslims and Mormons do not drink so I follow these great examples and I stay away from being around alcohol. The person who drinks for 40 days their prayer is not accepted . Drinking alcohol is worse than pornography

I've never seen a severely autistic person drink alcohol but this is the first time i've heard of an aunt doing so. Which is very rare. And, that is not good your aunt should probably find a way to put your cousin in some social activities for people who are special needs.

He'll probably appreciate the booze. No harm, no foul.

Well, you have to understand that your cousin would eventually encounter alcohol at some point. Mental age or not, it would be best if your cousin learns or knew how to deal with that. 

as long as he isn't getting drunk or drinking excessively....

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 month agoReport

1 or 2 drinks won't impair most adults.

• keerok

I understand your concern but sooner or later, at his age, he will encounter alcohol in one way or another. It would be best if he knew now how to deal with it.

My autistic son is 25. He just finished college. My wife and I allowed him to drink alcohol in moderation when he turned 21 but only in the house when we're around and only during special occasions. I hardly drink anyway so not a problem. He doesn't get drunk as he only takes one gulp usually. During his first time, it was a bottle of Heineken. I shared the rest of bottle with the dog so it wouldn't go to waste. The dog begged for it and is still very much alive. My son has also already tried hard liquor but has preference to Smirnoff which he can take half a bottle.

She probably uses alcohol to sedate him a bit.