Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 2 months ago

Why is being highly intelligent looked down upon in American culture?

Why? In asian cultures and indian cultures, it is highly respected and aspired to. In American culture, the more stupid you are, the cooler you are

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I think in America or any other country in the world, high intelligence is respected and aspired. I think in your second point, it depends on the individual and group. It's more specific than broad perspective. I hope this helps. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Bobo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's an emotional response--envy.  Society is made up of people who "think" with emotion rather than objective reasoning.  Collective praise for mediocrity permeates throughout society in order to help people not "feel" bad about themselves.  Individual character traits that should be emulated (intelligence, honesty, responsibility, integrity, self-control, etc.) are panned because many people refuse to make the effort--they rely on emotion to guide their daily lives and muddle away in their base instincts.     

• 2 months ago

Knowledge is power.  Many people in the United States have a distrust and contempt for those with power.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

For the same reason being a certain race is better in America.  It is called “group think”

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

maybe people are jealous of them

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's really not.  Why do you think it is?

• ...Show all comments
    • darkvelvetrain
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

"There's a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been.The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.