What are all the social services you can receive in America?

Here is my list so far:

EBT (food stamps)

Obama Care

Cash assistance

SSDI/SSI (social security)

Child Support

Alimony

Section 8 housing

L&I

Financial Aid

Unemployment

Women infant children (WIC)

Free cell phone from government

Can you think of anymore?

How do these programs affect one another?

Update:

One more I forgot; Veteran's Assistance (VA) 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Social Security is NOT "social service."  Social services refers to welfare benefits and services - meaning the benefit and/or service is based upon financial need.

Social Security is a federal program and isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a "social" service.  It is not welfare nor is it based upon financial need.  Social Security is an insurance program paid for with your FICA taxes which you pay through payroll deductions.  Benefits are paid from the social security trust funds (the disability trust fund and the retirement and survivor trust fund) and the amount of the benefit is determined by how much someone paid into the program.  High earnings=high benefit (which right now is over $3000 a month).  Low earnings=low benefit.

SSI (supplemental security income) is a "social" program because it is a federal welfare program but it is NOT social security.  Benefits are paid from general tax revenues and the benefit amount is determined by a person's income, resources and living arrangements.  Right now the maximum SSI monthly benefit is $783.  Rules and regs are the same nationwide.

Child support and alimony are NOT social programs - both are support for dependents paid for by a private individual - not a governmental entity.  Have no idea what L&I is.  VA pension is a social program because it is based upon financial need but VA compensation is NOT a social program since financial need has nothing to do with it.  VA comp is paid to service members with service-related injuries.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 rs.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pat
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Women owned business grants. 

• 2 months ago

Child support and alimony aren't public services. They're paid for by the person.

Obamacare is a LAW defining health insurance. It's not a public service either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.