Am I the only gamer who thinks the PS5 and Xbox series x is pointless?

• 4 days ago

I suppose you have a point.... but I think you're happy with the Graphics.

These current Gaming consoles have a long way to go and there are big improvements that are needed. These current Gaming consoles are CPU Bottlenecked, and the new AMD Zen 2 based CPU will help in a major way. This will help these new consoles achieve higher Framerates.

Transitioning over to Flash memory, aka SSD, for storage will help a lot, but Solid State Drives were out when the PS3 was still using the Fat models. Some people put Solid State drives in their PS3 or PS4. This is not a new technology and it could have been implemented with later versions of the PS4 and the XBox One X. 

Right now the Buzz is about Ray Tracing, which is a lighting effect. Nvidia claims this will give Graphics even more realism. Maybe this will be something that offers a clear benefit but Ray Tracing will take some time to perfect.

If you're a PC player only, then I can understand your argument. Otherwise, if you think that the quantum leap in graphical fidelity and AI/physics over the Jaguar bottle-necked PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, let alone outdated-upon-arrival base PS4/Xbox One is for nothing, I think you haven't been paying attention.   

By asking this question I’m assuming your either a PC gamer or just don’t like video games in general. Either way yes it’s pointless if you are one of those.

No as I am in the same mindset as you because unless if they have bring something new to the table, I just don’t see the reason as to why we need to buy a new console except to play certain games that we may seem interested in.

Meaning that I honestly don’t think it’s a good idea at the moment to buy the new consoles until its close to the end of their life cycle when they’re cheaper and is gonna get all the upgrades they are gonna get at that point on. 

• Kyle

people will always buy the latest and greatest devices.  i already have a xbox one x, so i probably won't get the next xbox. but i may get a ps4 if it drops in the price when the ps5 releases.  

As a gamer, I personally feel that consoles are pointless in general.  The big two brands - Sony and Microsoft release a new console every 7-ish years, and while considering they are extremely popular to a wide variety of age groups and have a pleasant online gaming experience, there is something that consoles will never compete with - Gaming PCs.

Until Sony and Microsoft can develop components beyond spec of what is available on the PC market, consoles will keep being released, people will continue to purchase them, but they will always be missing a percentage of the market that strictly games on their PC.  The processors and graphics cards used in consoles generally compare to mid-high end computer parts.

For example, the PlayStation 5 will be sporting a dual-core processor, it'll be quick, but seriously ... dual-core?  This day and age?  The graphics will have 10.28 T-Flops of power, which in terms of comparable to a computer graphics card, would be similar to a NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI (11.3 T-Flops) ... which was released in early 2017, and is still more powerful than a brand new console's graphics that is dropping in late 2020 / early 2021.

Sure, not to say that consoles are a complete waste of money ... I enjoy playing from the comfort of my couch / bed, on a 65" and 75" 4K TV.  There is a large online gaming community in a variety of ages, everything is pretty equal in terms of any advantages / disadvantages, since everyone has the same spec device on console, and all use similar controllers.  To add the cherry on top, consoles are $500-$600, which is a low-end computer.  The Operating Systems are unique, which means, even though the components are lower-spec, the power is utilized well.  In comparison, a GTX 1080 TI's power will be utilized and much more noticeable on a Linux machine, than it would be on a Windows machine.  The same can be said for consoles.

Gaming PCs with components that would surpass that of a console would run you $1,700 +, and that can get well up to $4,000 or $5,000 depending on the components we're talking - and that's if you're sourcing the components yourself and building yourself.  There are many forms of how you interact on games - different keyboards, controllers, PCs with better FPS capabilities will give you a slight edge over the person whose PC just doesn't quite match.  Someone with a triple-monitor setup gets the benefit of peripheral view, versus the person with a single monitor.  Many different ways to gain a competitive edge, and it can make all of the difference in who can perform better with less effort.  Consoles are all equal in that sense.

Consoles will always be in demand - I build my own gaming PCs with the latest, if not very close, to the latest components at high / highest spec and performance.  This is not to say that I still own an Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro, but I didn't purchase either on release ... I waited a couple of years after release when the price had dropped.  Plus, even though the PlayStation 4 Pro released in 2016 and the Xbox One X released in 2017, they still used what is now practically an obsolete, spinning disk Hard Drive - they should have been using Solid States at this point, not waiting until 2020 to introduce them into their units.  The only way to get a Solid State in the current generation is by purchasing an extremely over-priced external Solid State drive.  Speaking of which, some people do not know that you can format your own Solid State drive to be compatible with your PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X - rather than looking in the PlayStation / Xbox section of Walmart for a special External Hard Drive that is compatible with the respective console.  You end up paying 2-3 times more than you should, just because it says the External Hard Drive is specifically for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.  Personally, I purchase a massive Solid State drive for the same price as a small spinning disk Hard Drive, and format it to be compatible with my consoles using my computer - talk about better value for your money.

Well, these are my opinions - are consoles completely pointless?  No, I wouldn't say so, they're still too popular and in high demand.  However, the technology is disappointingly still "older" or underwhelming when comparing to a PC.

Source(s): - Own a PlayStation 4 Pro w/ (2) External SSDs - Own an Xbox One X w/ an External SSD - Own a Gaming PC that I built w/ 32-Core AMD Threadripper Processor Dual NVIDIA RTX 2080 TIs, 32GB RAM, (2) 2TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2 SSDs
    • Ho Kogan4 days agoReport

+1 for your Opinion

I just buy both consoles when ever a new one comes out the consoles are both beautiful pieces of art and i just love to masturbate to then

• Brian

I believe you have a point.