Do all people with pneumonia or the flu become hospitalized?

• J
    Favorite Answer

I’ve had the flu several times in my life and never once seen a doctor for it. I stayed home for a few days drinking water and taking ibuprofen like everyone else. 

• Edna

No -- all people with pneumonia or the flu aren't hospitalized - it depends upon how bad a case they have. 

I came down with  pneumonia in early January, and I wished I HAD been in a hospital. I don't remember ever feeling so bad with any illness as I did with pneumonia. It literally hurt to breathe, and the slightest exertion left me short of breathe and feeling like I was going to fall flat on my face. It took 1-1/2 months to completely get rid of it.  I still felt weak until around mid-February. 

No, not all people need hospitalization, unless they start having breathing issues for example.

No those with flu stay home. Pneumonia is a complication of flu when things may get worse so they may need help with breathing and require oxygen therapy or if they go into respiratory failure (where it worsens very badly) then require ventillation

• Tavy

No I have had pneumonia twice. Antibiotics cleared it up at home.

• Mark

The flu?  Rarely.  Pneumonia, somewhat more.  I had it once and I didn't go to a hospital.

No, not at all. I have had the flu a sew times, and most of the time I just stayed home through the experience, and perhaps went to the doctor just twice. never had pneumonia and I know several people who have and sometimes they did go to the hospital for a couple of days.

No, very rarely, actually.

• Anna D

No, of course not.