Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 2 months ago

Will it be safe to visit NYC in July?

I was planning on visiting NYC in late July and see some of its attractions (Empire State Building,Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge etc.) however it seems the coronavirus could ruin my plans. Will it be low by late July or will it be too dangerous to go?

As far as I’m concerned, it’s just as safe as most other areas of the country now although there’s not as much to do if you’re a tourist. Just use your common sense like you would anywhere else in regards to this whole coronavirus thing. I was actually there two days ago...May 16. ..It’s a two-hour drive from where I live.  Parked my car uptown and walked down to Times Square part way through Central Park. Got there aground 9pm, left around midnight. There were people wearing masks but there were also people not. I didn’t except when I went into a pizza place in the Times Square area. The subways are still running but on a more limited schedule. Not too many people using them. Some of the stops are closed and the whole thing is shut down from 1 AM till 5 AM...Times Square was all lit up as usual. Some street musicians etc.There were people hanging around, enough cars and traffic, Saw a couple of Lambos  and Ferraris as usual, kids skateboarding,  people riding those rental bikes around, people throwing  frisbees,  taking pictures with their iphones...definitely not as crowded as it otherwise would be but that was kind of good. Because it was easier to walk. Lots of cops around. I got approached by a couple of panhandlers because there aren’t as many people so you get hit up by them more. But that’s part of New York anyway. But I’m glad I went. There were also people in Central Park skateboarding, biking, jogging ,walking their dogs. It was kind of mellow and not as crowded as usual. But still busy. There were some pizza places open, I got a slice at a Ray’s Pizza and some delis were open and so on. Street food vendors also. So you aren’t going to starve. It was nice weather,  I enjoyed it, certainly a hell of a lot less boring than here in Connecticut. Glad I went. I think I might go back in a couple of days. Always feel better in New York. Maybe because I was born there and spent 35 years of my life there. Somebody below mentioned that New York is never safe. I have to disagree. Ironically I always feel a lot safer there than I do here in Connecticut. The people here in Connecticut are the worst. I actually prefer New Yorkers. They seem more human. 

No one knows what the situation will be like in July. The number of active cases in the US is still increasing almost everywhere and may accelerate as various places reopen. It's not a good time to be planning travel.

• MS

No one really knows for sure.  I think there's a good chance that most of the attractions in NYC will still be closed for tourism at that time.  But it's really still too soon to say.

The statue, no, because it's crowded whenever it's open.

The bridge, yes, because it's outdoors.

The Empire State Building, no, because of the elevator ride.

i'm not sure it has ever been safe!

i would hope it will be

covid 19 should go away in summer

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-am...

so it should be safe to go to new york in late july.

• DCM5150

The only problem with your info is that the projection is assuming that all the current restrictions are in place, which means those attractions would likely be closed. In reality, it may be relatively safe or it may surge again and that is something nobody can know for sure.