Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My Dad has an uncle who is 90. When he dies I want to travel to the funeral, what do I do if my father strongly objects when I'm an adult?

I have this problem where I am terrified of conflict with a loved one. A parent is a loved one. Knowing my Dad he will not want me to go. I work for my Dad so I can't just do it and go even though I am an adult living on my own. He won't want me to because I am OCD and so anything I do for a family member is viewed as an obsession yet I take pride in being a leader (I have an obsession with rules of loyalty like if I don't see a grandparent on Christmas then I am disloyal). However, I take tremendous pride in being a leader in the extended family and am close to this uncle of my father's and most his children and two of his grandkids. Missing the funeral will agitate me.

The relative lives out of town and it would thus involve travel. I am terrified of this conflict. What do I do when it happens? I suspect in the next year this relative will die. Of course COVID-19 could impact funeral but this question being if COVID-19 does not bar a public funeral.

Favorite Answer

i would just go anyways , if he dont like it thats his problem

Get help... find a therapist. There's my response

• Mark

We can't tell ocd people anything because you/they make excuses not to do things.