Mike asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 2 months ago

How fast can we travel on rail?

Whats the fastest that our technology can make a commercial train go.

• Vahe

We can travel over 350 mph.

Speed on some short test track does not mean a lot. The main issue is getting a right of way to construct the line as straight as possible  with stops about one or two hundred miles apart. Takes a few miles to get up to full speed and a similar distance to slow down for a stop. Not very  many places like this left on the planet with the available space to build it.

Rail lines around the world have scheduled trains of 150-200 mph. With select express trains with faster schedules.

Currently, the experimental JR-Maglev MLXO1 is considered the world’s fastest train, with a top speed of 361 mph in a test run in 2003.

Another two years of construction.

Depending where you are from would define  "our" technology. USA not high up in the world of high speed trains. Canucks and square heads designed that the silly real fast thing used in China to get you out to and from the Airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXY6GIEYl4

Youtube thumbnail

• Gorgia

I think there are some that can go upwards of 300 MPH.

The fastest commercial train in the world is Shanghai Maglev, which goes 267.8 mph.

• Starrysky

No rails involved on that one.

• JetDoc

Japanese "bullet trains" typically run 300+ MPH. I believe the world speed record for a commercial passenger train is somewhere around 375 MPH.

• Rumple

The Shanghai Maglev in China has a maximum operational speed of 267 mph and average speed of 156 mph. 

The TGV in France set the all time speed record with a modified engine on the train. Japan is trying to perfect electromagnetic rail where the train floats on a magnetic field and can go very fast, they're hoping to make aircraft options slower since aircraft are limited to airports in select areas and trains can run through any town, just about anywhere. They have what's called the "125" in England that is very fast. Doing more than 100 MPH in a train is extremely dangerous. There have been accidents and they are much worse than any average train wreck.

• F

The French TGV and Japanese billet train have never had a fatal accident.

Japan's bullet trains can safely do 150 mph, at top out about 180 mph (300 km per hour).

• Eastside Guz

I usually see all the Japanese (bullet & commuter) trains every night on PBS television too.

London to Paris is very fast.

• W

I've taken the TGV from Mulhouse to Lyon and there were stretches where we traveled at 190 mph. My cup of coffee sitting on the table did not spill a drop - even on the curves. Train travel is a viable and fast method of transportation in Europe and at least equal to air travel. Train travel in the US makes little sense. The distances are too long and the maintenance costs too high. Plus the infrastructure is outdated. But statistically air travel is safer, if only minimally. Both are far safer than cars and don't even think about motorcycles. 

• F

I’ve been on the TGV and couldn’t believe it was doing such speeds , it is so smooth. I timed it going past done telegraph poles on one stretch near the road . Later in the same road , I timed my car at 60mph. The train was 3x quicker .