I want to get rid of books I have?

I want to get rid of the books I own because I do not read them, but I feel like I am being a bad family member since family members bought them for me. Need Advice.

Favorite Answer

Offer them to your library or a care facility.  

Once a gift is given the giver has to let go of what finally happens to it.  Books in particular can get new life by being passed on to a new reader.

Don't feel guilt for sharing them with someone new.   You can offer them first to the original giver or another family member.   Perhaps they haven't yet read them and would enjoy the opportunity.

• Sir Caustic

<sniff> ...... brought a tear to my eye, that did. I'm all a-flutter, don't you know....... <sniff>

• k w

put a note inside the cover of each one, saying it's a donation to the library, then put them in the book depository......I gave way some books like that, also gave away records, but just gave them to a record shop, they were glad to get them......

All you have to do is tell your family you're recreating renaissance Florence's infamous "Bonfire of the Vanities" episode for a historical project, heap all your books into a pile, make a speech about the evil of all books and set them ablaze. Later, in private, you can tell them it was also an act of revenge for them mis-spelling "Adrian" and making your schooldays a living hell. Hope this helped.

If the family member got the book for you for a special reason or if it’s suppose to hold high sentimental value then I would hold onto it or give that one EXTRA consideration but if they just got it for you because it was your birthday or because you said you were into reading but it’s not necessarily your type of book, than I wouldn’t feel too bad. Or if you’ve already read it, don’t feel bad either!