Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 2 months ago

How to get into graduate program in the US for free?

Hello. I am not American student. I am an university student in France.

I want to study mechanical engineering in the US

I want to get into graduate program, but I don't have enough money.

I have heard that any students, even foreign students, can study for free in graduate programs. Is it true? If so, how?

Please tell me!

Totally false. You must prove you (& your parents) have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to your country of citizenship to apply for any visa. No money = no visa. Expect to need at least USD50,000/year. Foreign students do not qualify for most of the sorts of financial aid available in US - US citizens or legal permanent residents only. Financial aid for foreign students is typically very limited to non-existent, and competition for any funds which might be available is extremely tough.

Do not expect any financial aid, unless you obtain that from your country's programs for its citizens (if any), or obtain private scholarship or foundation assistance. You'll still need money, even if any of these are options for you. If you & your parents do not have adequate funds, do not waste time & money applying for admission.

• drip

They, who is they?  What programs? Study aboard programs through your university still cost money, I have never heard of one that is long than one school year/ 2 semesters. 

• drip

Even at the Graduate level getting any kind of financial aid is slim for international students.

Getting into ay engineering graduate program at any university is highly competitive. You can look into grants, scholarship, fellowship and stipends, but those a highly competitive also.

And even if you get money to cover your tuition (and possible room and board costs) there is so much more to pay for. 

Area will matter too. The cost of living and an apartment around UC Berkeley is going to significantly higher that around Georgia Institute of Technology or Purdue University.

All you can do is apply and see what you are offered. How are your grades. Have you take. The GRE exam. 

You don't - education in the US is hugely expensive even for its citizens; there's no way to study there for free as an international student.

• Janet

For free? You could get a Graduate Assistantship and get a huge tuition reduction, but the US funding for higher education is all f'ed up even for citizens. Unless you are recruited...yeah...Better of looking in Europe for free college options.

Look into fellowships for international students

• Squid

Grants and Scholarships.  If you haven't applied for several dozen, you're losing free money.

Graduate fellowships where you get free tuition in exchange for doing a bunch of research.

Some companies will pay your tuition as part of your pay and benefits package.

This is far from the truth. Unless you can get some sponsorship from your government, you will have to pay like everybody else.